PDA

View Full Version : New turner introduction

Maylon Harvey
02-14-2008, 12:22 AM
My 1st post to introduce myself.
I found the Creek last November while searching the internet for info on turning and joined at that time. Since then I have just been lurking and soaking up the wealth of information posted here. I’ve had many questions that I have been able to find answers to by doing a “search” on the Creek. I just can’t get over how much information is available here. And how fast you get answers to questions when you ask. It sure seems like such a friendly bunch of guys and gals.

I’m 60 years young and retired after 26 years in the Air Force living in Dansville NY. The LOML and I bought a new place last year with plenty of room for me to make a nice shop which I completed last summer.

I turned my 1st bowl (still have it) in high school 42 years ago and always thought I would like to make more. So last fall I bought a new lathe and I just finished turning my 45th bowl yesterday. Yes, I know, it didn’t happen if there aren’t any pictures. They will be coming just as soon as I build a tent to try and take good ones. Just finished making the Longworth chuck a couple of weeks ago so now I can finish off the bottoms to a more pleasing appearance. And just today ordered the pump and all the parts to make my vacuum system, thanks Steve.
And I think I can see a 3520 in the future.

Sorry this got so long. But I know I’m going to enjoy the Creek, I know I have so far.

Robert McGowen
02-14-2008, 12:24 AM
45 bowls in 42 years. You need to pick up the pace a little! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Seriously, welcome to the Creek.

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Welcome to SMC Maylon. Can't wait to see some pictures. What kind of lathe do you have now?

Steve Schlumpf
02-14-2008, 8:26 AM
Glad to see you posting Maylon! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your bowls!

Ben Gastfriend
02-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Welcome! Let's see pictures of your first bowl and your most recent! Yet another mustard guy! Gosh!:(

Tom Sherman
02-14-2008, 1:50 PM
Great to have you here Maylan, look forward to seeing some of your work.

robert hainstock
02-14-2008, 1:59 PM
Its great to have you on board, (I'm AN old sailor) sounds like you'll be teaching us a few things. Get that camera going. :):)
Bob

Maylon Harvey
02-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Bernie,
It's a Grizzly 0462 (16x43). It has served me well so far considering what I paid for it. Want to make sure I'm going to stay with turning before I spend the big bucks. Like I said before, maybe there is a 3520 in the future. You have to make sure the big heavier pieces are balanced before turning it on as it will only go down to 530 RPM. I could add more weight, but so far getting the pieces balanced hasn't been a problem.