PDA

View Full Version : Collector mix up

Nathan Hoffman
03-09-2004, 2:12 PM
I received my new Jet dust collector yesterday and assembled it last night while waiting for the vanity face frames to dry. I had just finished and was admiring the unit, when I noticed that the motor said something about being 2 hp. I checked the box, and sure enough, Amazon had sent me a DC1200Ck instead of the 1100. I emailed them this morning, and they replied that if I wanted to keep it, I could, or they would take it back and exchange it. I guess once in a while you get something for nothing....

Dick Parr
03-09-2004, 2:15 PM
It's times like this, that all you can do is just sit back and enjoy! :D :D :D

John Miliunas
03-09-2004, 2:44 PM
It's times like this, that all you can do is just sit back and enjoy! :D :D :D

Ah, "Penalty: 10 yrds.: Stealth gloat not listed in Subject line!" :D Like Dick said, enjoy! :cool:

Kevin Beck
03-09-2004, 2:57 PM
I ordered an 1100CK from Amazon this morning. I hope I get the same order filler :) Of course you have probably used up all the good luck in that area :mad:

Nathan Hoffman
03-09-2004, 3:19 PM
I really don't think the extra hp makes any difference, at least not in actual use. The cfm is a little bit higher, but I don't see how it is going to be noticable. But who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

Terry Hatfield
03-09-2004, 7:21 PM
Nathan,

I read on another forum of exactly the oppisite thing happening to a couple of guys. I guess Amazon has no clue what they are sending out. I believe the 1200 has a 12" impeller and the 1100 has a 11" impeller. One inch bigger impeller is a big deal. I'd say you did real good on that deal.

Enjoy,

Terry

Nathan Hoffman
03-10-2004, 8:24 AM
You are right, Terry, about the larger impeller. I had thought it was just a different motor, but either way, you'd think Amazon would use part numbers, not just look at the picture on the box....

Mark Mazzo
03-10-2004, 9:06 AM
Nathan,

I'm not sure if this is an issue for you and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, but I believe that the DC1200CK only operates at 220V and not 110V like the 1100. As I say, this may or may not be an issue for you if you were planning on running the 1100 at 220V, but I thought that I'd mention it.

-- Mark

Nathan Hoffman
03-10-2004, 10:26 AM
I didn't realize that the 1200 was only 220v, but that shouldn't be an issue because I have 220 for the tablesaw anyway. Didn't one of the magazines run an article recently about the benefits of 220 vs 110 recently? SInce I'm setting up my new shop, I am going to run most of the machines on 220v.

Bill Pentz
03-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Nathan,

Congratulations on your good fortune!

I bought and tested both the Jet DC-1100 and DC-1200 dust collectors back in 2000 then shared out the results on my web pages and on other forums including Badger Pond. Although it needed finer filters and all 6” ducting, the Jet DC-1100 was the only 1.5 hp dust collector I could find that would move a real 800 CFM at our larger machines needed to gather the fine dust. The Jet is the impeller I chose initially for use with a cyclone because its backward curved design is closer to 50% efficiency versus around 40% efficiency for other brands. The difference between an air raid siren and a dust collection blower is only speed and internal clearances. The Jet impeller design is also far less noisy than other designs. Check out my blower information (http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/Equipment.cfm#Centrifugal%20Pressure%20Blowers) on my web pages for more information. The only better material movement impeller is the special Sheldon's 14” material movement impeller that I asked Sheldon’s to build after Jet ran out of impellers and the substitute Cincinnati Fan aluminum impellers kept slipping down the motor shaft. That Sheldon’s impeller uses the same design with a better arbor more appropriate for mounting with a vertical motor shaft.

bill
http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/airfoil.gif