PDA

View Full Version : ?Speed limits?

Keith Spaniel
02-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi,
I usually turn ,walnut ,maple ,elm, and my top speed is 1200 rpm.
I just make 2''-3'' boxes.. I have only been turning a 1 1/2 yrs. and i cant see why you would need to go 3000 rpm . ? Why do lathes go so fast?
I noticed that when I went up to 1500 and ride the bevel to clean up before i sand, that it really smoothes out the piece better, but it also shows my uneven cuts.
thanks ,keith

Gordon Seto
02-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Keith,

Whatever speed it is comfortable to you. Generally higher speed gives smoother cut (except in sanding).
You can find some guide line by Dale Nish here:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/safe_lathe_speeds.pdf
I usually don't pay much attention to the actual speed I am turning. I rely mostly on feel. I speed up the lathe till it vibrates, then back off. Wood is not solid material; it has defects. You always have to take other factors into consideration, such as tailstock support, how secure the chucking methods, how aggressive you are turning etc.

Keith Spaniel
02-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Gordon,
I wrote down the speeds from the article will have to try and speed it up and see how it turns out. Thanks ,
Keith

Bill Stevener
02-14-2008, 1:26 PM
Keith, my favorite lathe I can only get up to 1000 rpm. and after 10 minutes at that speed I can hardly walk anymore. Now my small lathe is never below 3500 rpm. start to finish. Just depends on what you are doing.

Jim Underwood
02-14-2008, 3:13 PM
I usually turn spindles as fast as my Jet mini will go (3,000), but for roughing bowls, I turn it all the way down to 500 until the lathe quits loping around the shop....;)

Bernie Weishapl
02-14-2008, 5:57 PM
I just set the lathe speed where I am comfy with it.