PDA

View Full Version : Drawer suggestion

Amy Leigh Baker
02-13-2008, 8:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I would like to add two drawers to the underside of my table (as shown below), but I can't figure out how to attach them to the table. I am seriously considering using a glass center on the tabletop which complicated things even more in my mind. I am almost ready to attach the rails but don't risk doing so until I find out if I will have to alter them to attach drawers.

The pink spots are where I want them and I have included an underside picture, and the SketchUp file as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Amy

Jamie Buxton
02-13-2008, 10:28 PM
There's a lot of approaches. One would be to make a box which holds the drawers. The box has two sides, a back, and a bottom. It screws up into the rails, and you may as well screw it to the legs too. The drawer slides screw to the inside faces of the box. You could still use any material you like for the table top.

Greg Hines, MD
02-13-2008, 10:38 PM
I would think that the glass top would complicate matters considerably. That said, you will have to build a case for the drawers, but it could be attached to the legs and/or aprons in any manner of ways, from biscuits, to even screws from the inside of the case.

Doc

Michael Gibbons
02-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm with Jamie. You could use pocket screws to attach the stiles to the apron and cover the hole with the plugs they sell, and besides the holes would be covered up by the drawers. then you could attach the bottom to the legs with mortise/tenon joint.

Michael Wildt
02-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi,

I'm a beginner in woodworking so take my suggestion with that in mind.

- Nice table, though with a glass top you may not like what you see through the table when a drawer box is attached.

- If adding drawers then I'm guessing the table is mostlikely to be used as a desk. One thing I like is to have the possibility to move the drawers from left to right or right to left all depending where the table is positioned in the room. You might want to have that in mind so 3 years later you can 'move' it if needed. One way could be to attach 'Jamies's box' to the inside of the of the apron, that would offset the front of the drawer box/frame a bit to make room for the drawer front.

Michael