PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Vase

Robert McGowen
02-13-2008, 8:03 PM
This is my first finished piece off of the new 1642. I designed it from scratch with "Segmented Project Planner" (no affiliation with company) While kind of challenging with the 3/8" rings, I learned numerous things to add to the mental knowledge base to make things easier on the next project! Mainly, make 3/4" rings, split them into two rings, and get a "free" set of rings for another vase. :rolleyes:

A vase consisting of 421 individual pieces of Yellowheart, Purpleheart, and Bloodwood. 10" tall and 6.5" across. Finished with Waterlox Original.

While still working on the segmented skills, if you have any negative comments about the shape of the vase, please let me know. I am just designing what I think looks good, but since I am not buying it, I need other people's honest opinions! Thank you for looking.

Brian Weick
02-13-2008, 8:28 PM
Very nice work Rob, I like the job you did on it and it has a lot of charachter ~ well done! :)
Brian

David Walser
02-13-2008, 8:33 PM
Rob,

It's a beautiful vase and it looks like you did a great job keeping your joints tight. As for suggestions, I'd like to see a version with the decoration at the "waist" of the vase mirrored at the neck of the vase. I'm not sure I'd like that better, but I think some decoration at the top would look nice.

Tim A. Mitchell
02-13-2008, 8:42 PM
Overall, I like it a lot. The wood works well together, and the zig zag patern gives interest.

To continue with my honest opinions, I think the curves need a bit of smoothing. By this, I think you have a bit of a sharp curve above the zig zag (based on the first pic, left side). The change I see would be to "take the edge off", bringing the curve further into the transition up to the neck, also creating a bit of a longer neck.

I lke it though. Makes me want to segment, along with some of the others seen here.

Pete Jordan
02-13-2008, 9:10 PM
Looks Great Robert!

How's the new lathe treating you?

Steve Schlumpf
02-13-2008, 9:46 PM
I think you did a great job Robert! Joints look perfect! Colors and design pattern work well. Form looks balanced and begs to be picked up! I think you did a really nice job on it!

Also, along the same lines as Pete - how are you liking your new lathe?

Dale Gregory
02-14-2008, 8:01 AM
Nice job! Like the form and segmented design. You should be happy with it. Congrats on the new lathe!

Dale

Bill Wyko
02-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Very nice Robert. I knew you'd do that lathe proud. keep em comming.

Ben Gastfriend
02-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Beautiful! Great job keeping the bloodwood from bleeding into the yellowheart!

As for the curve, I'd like to see it curve inward for the neck a little lower. Just a personal opinion.

Tony De Masi
02-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Robert,

I like the overall shape of the piece, but I think it may be a bit more graceful if you started to cove into the neck area a bit lower on the piece. But I'm not buying it either so what do I know.

How is the rehab coming along?

Tony

Robert McGowen
02-15-2008, 6:57 PM
Thanks for the different critiques. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to incorporating them in the next piece.

The 1642 is so different from the mini that I can't even compare them!

(and Tony, the rehab is going well, about 6 weeks left)