PDA

View Full Version : What tools are you going to buy with the tax rebate?

C Scott McDonald
02-13-2008, 7:59 PM
Hey Folks,

Assuming your better half gives you the green light, what tools are going to buy with the rebate?

I was thinking about finally taking the Festool plunge and getting a ROS and a Vac for it.

Or I might go on a lumber buying spree. At least the $600 dollars would stay in the US that way.

How about the rest of you?

Greg Peterson
02-13-2008, 8:04 PM
If I buy any tools with it, they'll be the highest quality available. Seemings how the next several generations will be paying for it the least I can do is buy a tool they'll be able to us too.

Peter Quinn
02-13-2008, 8:05 PM
Correction, I don't know how this happened to me! I was trying to show fiscal reserve when my Index finger went crazy and ordered a new JDS cyclone collector! I've spent mine and her's (LOML)! Big trouble...big trouble...:):):)

William OConnell
02-13-2008, 8:07 PM
Hey Folks,

Assuming your better half gives you the green light, what tools are going to buy with the rebate?

I was thinking about finally taking the Festool plunge and getting a ROS and a Vac for it.

Or I might go on a lumber buying spree. At least the $600 dollars would stay in the US that way.

How about the rest of you?
That would be money well spent. I have 3 fulltime employees and was worried about them destroying the festool stuff like they do most everything ut its survived there brutality.

Jim O'Dell
02-13-2008, 8:16 PM
Is the inside A/C-Heat exchanger a power tool? Ours is leaking condensation water. So that is where our's is going. Jim.

Matt Meiser
02-13-2008, 8:29 PM
Mines probably going to add additional insulation in our attic. I'd hoped to do it before this heating season but that didn't happen for a variety of reasons. I'll probably buy the pink stuff, so it will be going to a Toledo, OH based company.

John Shuk
02-13-2008, 8:34 PM
I'll probably just keep on putting gas in my car with it.

Dan Owen
02-13-2008, 8:36 PM
I may buy some General stationary power tools like a 650 table saw. General tools out of Canada seem to increase in price anywhere from 20 to 30 % a year. Beats the stock market and if I wait much longer, I'll never be able to afford one.

Bryan Hopfensperger
02-13-2008, 8:46 PM
Wouldn't it make the most sense to buy American-made tools with that tax rebate? You can give your money to whomever you well please, but if a boost in the American economy is the general idea, it would make sense to give it to American companies who care enough to employ American workers. -Don't know, just a thought.

Scott Donley
02-13-2008, 8:56 PM
No earned income and no SS, looks like I am out of luck :(I did pay taxes though :(

Steve Mellott
02-13-2008, 9:04 PM
I'd like to buy either a Jet 1642 220 volt lathe or a 16-32 Performax sander. Either would have to be used, in great condition, and very reasonably priced.

Lee Koepke
02-13-2008, 9:15 PM
most likely ... a benchtop planer. i should get a dust collector system, but ... i can manage alternatives to dust, but not planing ..

Glenn Clabo
02-13-2008, 9:19 PM
Reminder...
The forums at SawMill Creek are moderated. All posts are subject to moderation by our Members and Administrative Staff. Messages deemed offensive by any member may be reported to our staff by using the 'Report Post to Moderator' option. Any message that is reported to a moderator may be subject to removal, in whole or in part, at our staff.s discretion.
1. Religion and Politics
All members shall abstain from engaging in religious or
political debate.

Cliff Polubinsky
02-13-2008, 9:38 PM
Dewalt 735 and a GPS. The GPS is to help me find wood, so it's a woodworking tool.

Cliff

Cary Falk
02-13-2008, 9:49 PM
Mig welder to make mobile bases and stuff.:D

Joe Petersen
02-13-2008, 9:54 PM
Just remember...That rebate comes out of next years return. So buy whatever you would have bought then. I hope to buy s rifle with a piece. I just bought a used tablesaw so need to build stuff for it before I go buying anything new.

Noah Vig
02-13-2008, 9:57 PM
Money is going towards shop wiring and service upgrade.

Greg Hines, MD
02-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Don't know for sure. Probably a PC biscuit joiner.

Doc

Jason Scott
02-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Wish I got one, I pay every year :eek:

Dave Lehnert
02-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Wouldn't it make the most sense to buy American-made tools with that tax rebate? You can give your money to whomever you well please, but if a boost in the American economy is the general idea, it would make sense to give it to American companies who care enough to employ American workers. -Don't know, just a thought.

Think I am going to buy some attachments to my Shopsmith. Great American company in Dayton Ohio that is going through some hard times right now. A little on the expensive side but well worth it.

C Scott McDonald
02-13-2008, 11:31 PM
This is a rebate not a refund Jason. Depending on your income you should 600 for single 1200 for married.

Dick Brown
02-13-2008, 11:32 PM
We are borrowing the $$$$ from China!:D Only makes sense to buy some tools from China!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

JT Chrstianson
02-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Locally sourced vintage PM66 (my first and maybe last) with a 50" fence and 240V to the garage. :)

Jason Scott
02-14-2008, 1:08 AM
This is a rebate not a refund Jason. Depending on your income you should 600 for single 1200 for married.

Ahh, I see, well then I'll be spending it paying the IRS lol :rolleyes:

Denny Rice
02-14-2008, 1:16 AM
I have been looking at the Jet 1642 for about a year now. Around last Aug. I was getting ready to pull the trigger and my wife talked me into adding the money with some of our savings to put siding on our house, so I did. She says since I was so "nice" last fall I 'm going to get my new lathe! Isn't she great, LOL.

Denny:)

Bob Durgin
02-14-2008, 7:26 AM
This is a advancement on your refund for the following tax year.:eek: So your next refund at tax time will be less.

Al Willits
02-14-2008, 8:20 AM
Well, everytime the Feds give us money back, the state yahoo's raise the taxes here, but I'm gonna pretend they'd do it anyway and prob spend the money on wood for the kitchen cabinets, least that's what I'm planning, not sure what will really happen as Beasty hasn't made up my mind yet. :)

I have most of the power tools I need for awhile and I get shop supplies as I need them or they come on sale, the tree falling on the wife's car/house/truck didn't help the check book any, so I have the feeling we'll use the money for house stuff or maybe the fall fishing vacation we're planning on.

Al

Anthony Whitesell
02-14-2008, 8:37 AM
Steve,

Up here in New Hampshire, Woodcraft and Rockler are both 10% off on Jet Power tools including the 16-32 Sander. Guess where I'm going this weekend?

Jim Broestler
02-14-2008, 9:37 AM
Probably an air compressor and a Grex pin nailer. And a cordless drill.

Chris Padilla
02-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Wish I got one, I pay every year :eek:

That's great! Everyone should pay a little bit come tax time. Refunds just mean you are giving Uncle Sam a free loan for the year.

If you're careful and plan well, you ought to owe just a little bit each year and then you're getting the free loan.

I strive to pay $500 or under come April and I'm usually pretty close.

Danny Thompson
02-14-2008, 10:53 AM
A down-payment on a new house with a dedicated shop . . . maybe some 220.

BTW, what American-made tools? Outside of Lie-Nielsen, which is practically in Canada, what's left?

jason lambert
02-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Yup house with new shop that is what I did last year unfortinally it is still a bit small. But if I ever get money a new gurage in the back, so I can use the one attaced to the house for a shop, saw stop, and cyclone.

Doug Shepard
02-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Been wanting a Binford 2000 Metric Board Stretcher for quite a while.

Greg Muller
02-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Been wanting a Binford 2000 Metric Board Stretcher for quite a while.

:D

Thanks for the laugh Doug "Toolman" Shepard!

I think I'll get the new 24" Akeda DT Jig and a couple new blades.

Yup...

Bryan Hopfensperger
02-14-2008, 11:41 AM
…what American-made tools? Outside of Lie-Nielsen, which is practically in Canada, what's left?

There are some.
Shopsmith (was mentioned already)
RJR Studios (Sand Flee)
Whiteside router bits
Starrett
Incra
Bridge City Tool Works
Woodpeckers stuff

There are surely other smaller ones, no doubt. They are deserving of the American woodworker's business, are they not?

(Oh, and there's no need to make this into a Shopsmith bashing party. That's been done enough on this forum. They are what they are. But the fact that they are still American-made and in a list with the likes of those listed above should say something.)

Bill White
02-14-2008, 11:51 AM
A Bologna Master sandwich making machine. With the price of steak today, bologna is the only "meat" I can afford.
Bill

Michael Gibbons
02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
It all depends if the SWMBO gives me all or just half. Probably some more Lie-Nielsen stuff- scrub plane, mitre plane. Could buy some lumber. Maybe some Starrett stuff. Update my stereo system. I told my wife, who has a hard time deciding what she wants to buy, that I could walk into Woodcraft and easily drop $10,000 and not buy anything over $500, or $250 for that matter. Maybe I'll go and order my sanblasted sign for my shop.

Jason Beam
02-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Probably savings ... I don't consider it a rebate, I consider it an advance that I have to pay off anyway.

Matt Ellis
02-14-2008, 12:29 PM
That's great! Everyone should pay a little bit come tax time. Refunds just mean you are giving Uncle Sam a free loan for the year.

If you're careful and plan well, you ought to owe just a little bit each year and then you're getting the free loan.

I strive to pay $500 or under come April and I'm usually pretty close.

i think we should not pay taxes at all during the year, then everyone should have to write a big fat check equivalent to what is "withheld" (read extorted/stolen/blackmailed). think we could get some tax reform then?! :)

our daughter is 3 weeks old today. i think i am going to be buying diapers...

-matt

Lee DeRaud
02-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Probably dump it into the "new laptop" bucket. I remember thinking "it's time to start shopping for new computers" about this time last year.

The newest computer in the house is nearly five years old: I'm not a big fan of bleeding-edge technology, but that's over the limit even for me.

Doug Shepard
02-14-2008, 12:44 PM
BTW, what American-made tools? Outside of Lie-Nielsen, which is practically in Canada, what's left?

That's OK - I live outside Detroit, which is practically in Canada so I can continue to buy LN:D

Rod Sheridan
02-14-2008, 12:54 PM
That's OK - I live outside Detroit, which is practically in Canada so I can continue to buy LN:D

It's OK Doug, you just picked the "wrong" side of the river to live on!

We'll sell you General machinery too since you're such a good neighbour!

Regards, Rod.

Jay Kilpatrick
02-14-2008, 1:13 PM
Most of it will go to the family spring break vacation. Whatever's left will go toward repairs to improve our chances of getting out from under this house when we move this fall.

Pete Harbin
02-14-2008, 2:43 PM
The little man's 529 college fund...straight in, do not pass go. Best American investment I can think of.

Pete

Matt Woessner
02-14-2008, 2:51 PM
I just hope I dont own them any more money!! Break even would be great! If I do get some back I am going to get a dust system.