PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the show

Raymond Overman
02-13-2008, 6:37 PM
I picked up a DVD of the Face 2 Face show today and have finished getting it on the web. The host was interested in hearing feedback from everyone. The show is available on my blog (http://www.nakedwoodturner.com/). Let me know what you think.

David Walser
02-13-2008, 8:37 PM
For those of us with slower connections, could you post a link to the video so we can download the file and burn our own DVD? I think you'd look better on my big screen TV than on the computer in low res. (I'm quite certain Andrea would look better!)

Dennis Peacock
02-13-2008, 8:39 PM
Good job Raymond and very well done IMHO. Congrats my friend.!!!!! :cool:

Pete Jordan
02-13-2008, 9:02 PM
Wonderful Job Raymond!

I don't think you could have done a better job!

Bryan Berguson
02-13-2008, 9:22 PM
I'm not a turner Ray but that was very cool. You did a great job in front of the camera.

Bryan

Scott Donley
02-13-2008, 9:24 PM
Enjoyed the show Raymond ! Watch out DIY Network !

Scott Hubl
02-13-2008, 9:25 PM
Congrats, nice job.

But is your lathe OK? sounded really BAD.:eek:

dennis kranz
02-13-2008, 10:18 PM
You did a great job. Nice bowl. I realy liked it when you nailed the camera with the water.
Dennis

Steve Schlumpf
02-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Raymond - just got done watching the video and have to say that you did a really good job! Very informative and entertaining! I really liked the way you had the cameraman positioned so that he got all the shaving while you were roughing the outside of the bowl and then how the lense of the camera got soaked when you started cutting through the bark and sapwood! LOL

I think you did a good job representing all of us turners! Hope the show helps to bring you some more wood and also generates some commission work.

Thanks for posting the video!

Raymond Overman
02-13-2008, 10:27 PM
You did a great job. Nice bowl. I realy liked it when you nailed the camera with the water.
Dennis

Yeah, the funny part was when we transitioned from roughing the tenon to turning the piece around the camera man said, "I think I've got chips in my underwear." All I could think was, "Yep, so what?" :eek:

Raymond Overman
02-13-2008, 10:40 PM
For those of us with slower connections, could you post a link to the video so we can download the file and burn our own DVD? I think you'd look better on my big screen TV than on the computer in low res. (I'm quite certain Andrea would look better!)

If you click on the Google icon on the right side of the video it will take you to Google Video. From there you can stop the video and click on the Download button on the right side of the screen. It's about 95Mb so it could take a while.

Unfortunately, the quality isn't that good since I had to compress the original considerably to shoehorn it onto the web. I would offer to send you a DVD but since it's not my production, I don't want to start sending out copies. They were nice enough to agree (enthusiastically) to let me put it on the web for my Internet buddies to see. I don't want to jeopardize a repeat performance down the road.

David Walser
02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks, Raymond. You're right to be careful with someone else's intellectual property.

George Morris
02-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Nice job a star is born!,looks great good luck ,I could listen to her southern accent all day!!! Thanks! George

Raymond Overman
02-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Nice job a star is born!,looks great good luck ,I could listen to her southern accent all day!!! Thanks! George

She's from Canada. She even said, "Eh," at the end of sentences while we were off camera. I guess living down here for years it seeps in a little though. She doesn't say aboot.:)

Bill Bolen
02-14-2008, 2:19 AM
Great job Ray! 'Ole Norm better watch his back! You had a great presence on camera. Didn't seem at all nervous. I did a training video at my old work years ago and was embarrased to watch it. My nerves had me stammering. You must have trained with John Wayne. I have to ask too, is the lathe ok? Sure sounded like something was banging around...Bill...

Rasmus Petersen
02-14-2008, 3:06 AM
Great video.!! looked real easy...

But i have (also) to ask is your lathe ok ?? sounded sick. high pitch squealll

Raymond Overman
02-14-2008, 8:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate you taking a few minutes to watch the video and I'll forward the links to Andrea so she can see them as well.

As for the noise at the lathe, I'm going to look into it and see what Jet has to say. I was under the impression that it may just be the whine of the VFD but it would seem that ya'll are saying it shouldn't sound like that. Thanks for the heads up.

Rasmus Petersen
02-14-2008, 8:09 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate you taking a few minutes to watch the video and I'll forward the links to Andrea so she can see them as well.

As for the noise at the lathe, I'm going to look into it and see what Jet has to say. I was under the impression that it may just be the whine of the VFD but it would seem that ya'll are saying it shouldn't sound like that. Thanks for the heads up.

I used a new jet like yours for en entire weekend 2 weeks ago. It was super silent. So should yours be i think..

Bob Hallowell
02-14-2008, 8:17 AM
Raymond, you did a great interview and a very nice bowl.

Bob

Glenn Hodges
02-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Enjoyed it Raymond, good show.

Jeff Bower
02-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Ray I love that you threw sap and water all over the camera. I thought I needed to get my safety glasses out! Great Job!

Ben Gastfriend
02-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Cool! Great job, great bowl! I agree-chips down the pants... happens everyday, right?!

Tom Sherman
02-14-2008, 1:40 PM
Ray that was an interesting piece. Good exposure for you and for the craft of woodturning, well done to you and Andrea.

robert hainstock
02-14-2008, 2:26 PM
That's more of a northern thing than Canadian. Hear it alot around here. very thourouhg well thought out presentation Raymond. Just a thought tough, Hire the bird! :D:D:D
Bob
PS
nice bowl!

Dale Gregory
02-14-2008, 6:29 PM
Ray, nice show, you are a star now! By the way, you did a great job talking through it all on camera, I would have been tongue tied and stammering like a fool! Waiting for the sequel.....Hollow Forms!

Dale

Bill Wyko
02-14-2008, 7:30 PM
WOW Raymond! I was expecting a little 3 to 5 minute blurb. You're a regular Norm Abrams. You did very well with your explanation and your demonstration. there will be more wood turners because of you. I also posted on the Blog. Great Job.

Scott Hubl
02-14-2008, 8:59 PM
Ray,
I watched the whole show, it was great. I wasnt being sarcastic or anything about your lathe.

It truely does sound like there is somthing Majorly WRONG with it.

You mentioned you just recieved it for Christmas, I was kinda shocked thought it must be years old and the bearings were about to blow out at any second during the show.

Have it serviced or replaced ASAP!

Good luck, Jet lathes are very good I own 3 myself, I actually have a total of 6 lathes at present.

Yours should run Smooth as silk and pretty darned near Silent.

Your under warranty, find out whats wrong, if its major, Insist on another New unit.

Again the show was great you did a great job. I'm envyous(sp)? Would be nice being on TV showing and doing what you love for all to see and enjoy.