PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-580 feed problem

Ed Walsh
02-13-2008, 4:33 PM
Folks,

Have a relatively new Delta 22-580 which I've used very little. I have always had a problem with feeding stock. It'll take it, feed an inch or so, stop, sometimes hesitate and move an inch or so again. I've got to almost hand push it thru to get it to work. I keep the rollers cleaned and the base plates waxed.

Anybody have any ideas on how to get this to work properly. I've adjusted the in and out feed tables. I've also tried adjusting the outfeed roller. I am not sure when adjusting the outfeed roller if would help to have more or less pressure on the stock.

I was hoping someone has a solution for this problem.

Thanks,
Ed Walsh

John Thompson
02-13-2008, 4:47 PM
I don't have a solution, but you have done some of the trouble-shooting steps already as clean rollers.. etc. Did you check the belts and gears? If not that, I would call Delta tech department. You say it's new.. it's also under warranty and the ball is in their court if so.

BTW.. check the 2 speed changer. I had a 580 for years with no problems.. except they were notorious at the time for sticking in-between slow feed and high feed when you made the change. And.. it often looks as if it is changed.. but it is not always as that device will stop just short of home plate. I can't remember if they are supposed to be changed stopped or on.. but be sure of that in the manual if you don't know.

Sarge..

Mike Goetzke
02-13-2008, 4:48 PM
I have that planer. I never had your problem but have seen it mentioned before. Usually due to dirty feed roller, but yours is new. Second thing is the two speed switch is sometimes finicky. Turn the planer on and push the lever sort of hard one way then the other.

Mike

scott spencer
02-13-2008, 4:59 PM
Mine was having similar issues occasionally. When cleaning the rollers and waxing the table didn't help, I adjusted the roller pressure just a little...it's MUCH better now. :)

Ed Walsh
02-13-2008, 5:45 PM
Scott,

Did you adjust the roller upwards ( less pressure on stock ) or downards.

Thanks,
Ed Walsh

Ed Walsh
02-13-2008, 5:47 PM
Thanks for the tip on the speed switch. I did notice that it was pretty hard to move. I'll pay closer attention to it now. I do know you need to have the planer running when you change speeds.

Thanks,
Ed Walsh

Ed Walsh
02-13-2008, 5:50 PM
Thanks for the idea about the speed switch. I was wondering if it would feed better at the higher setting but I didn't see a difference. Now I wonder if I actually changed the setting or was I in that in-between mode you mentioned.

Thanks,
Ed Walsh

Curt Harms
02-13-2008, 6:41 PM
I found that sometimes I had to raise the cutterhead assembly to get stock to feed. Bear in mind that benchtop planers don't like 3/16" cuts; light passes and more of them make for happy benchtop planers, I'd start barely removing anything and lower the head half a turn at a time for narrower stock and less for wider stock. The motor will tell You if it's overloaded.

HTH

Curt

scott spencer
02-13-2008, 6:49 PM
Scott,

Did you adjust the roller upwards ( less pressure on stock ) or downards.

Thanks,
Ed Walsh

Ed - I needed to adjust slightly downward, with slight bias to one side....YMMV. I don't recall the exact process but remember thinking it was pretty simple.

Eddie Darby
02-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I have this machine and there are two built in operator problems.

1- The speed switch only goes part of the way unless you really force it, which is counter to what switches normally do.

2- The depth gauge locking mechanism knob must be turned about a dozen times before it locks. The directions don't tell you to "keep" turning, they just say turn. This too has caused problems for other operators.

Rod Sheridan
02-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I don't have a benchtop planer, however this is a common problem on stationary planers when the pressure bar or chip breaker are out of adjustment (too low).

This normally happens when the operator grinds the knives in the machine too many times without performing the other adjustments.

Regards, Rod.

mike wacker
02-14-2008, 3:18 PM
Ed,

I have this planer and had the exact problem you discribed. I got a can of Top Coat and liberally coated all three "beds". Silly expensive for what it is but now the wood flys thru the machine.

mlw