PDA

View Full Version : D/C to A/C Inverter

Joe Suelter
03-09-2004, 12:54 PM
There is a strong debate going on at work about whether or not you can charge something off these. We got in a bunch of new vehicles (van's) that have 1000 watt inverters in them, mine included. Some people are saying that you shouldn't charge like say for instance drill batteries on them. I for one didn't believe it, until I started charging my two-way radio on it. It lasted about a day and a half, where-as before plugging it into the wall at home it would last around 3 days. Could there be something to this? The charge lights will state that the batteries are fully charged, too. What do you all think? I'm sure somebody here has been through this a time or two. (the inverters are wired from the conversion company, using what appears to be 2 guage ((maybe 4)) wire directly from the battery isolater). These are work trucks too, not that that makes a difference. Thanks guys, I'm just curious more than anything.

Tyler Howell
03-09-2004, 3:40 PM
Joe, I use an inverter all the time in my truck and on the boat for the, computer, test equipment, camera and flash light batteries. I know for a fact florescent lights with solid state ballast don't like inverters. (Why I don’t know but they don’t:rolleyes:)
The output of an inverter is a very dirty signal. Not a clean sign wave like most house current so it may take longer to charge a battery.
I use a surge suppressor in line to protect my delicate test equipment and computer.

Joe Suelter
03-09-2004, 6:37 PM
Good information, Tyler, thanks. Actually, it took longer for my radio (Kenwood 2-way) to charge at home than it did in the van?!? But, the charge lasts for much longer. As far as the batteries go, my 14.4 DeWalt drill batteries must not like the "dirty" sine wave either, because they too loose power very quickly. Weird, guess I'll just use that for the cooler!!!! 8)

Dennis Peacock
03-09-2004, 10:58 PM
Joe, I use an inverter all the time in my truck and on the boat for the, computer, test equipment, camera and flash light batteries. I know for a fact florescent lights with solid state ballast don't like inverters. (Why I don’t know but they don’t:rolleyes:)
The output of an inverter is a very dirty signal. Not a clean sign wave like most house current so it may take longer to charge a battery.
I use a surge suppressor in line to protect my delicate test equipment and computer.

Wow!!!! I didn't know that....but I guess that's what I get for being on the .000002 Hz frequency while everybody else is on 5Ghz.... :)

Joe Suelter
03-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Hey Tyler, do you just use an ordinary surge strip? Have you ever replaced it? I know that they are supposed to be replaced every year or so, I think. Just wondering. Thanks for your info!

Tyler Howell
03-11-2004, 1:37 PM
Hey Tyler, do you just use an ordinary surge strip? Have you ever replaced it? I know that they are supposed to be replaced every year or so, I think. Just wondering. Thanks for your info!

I am always up grading the surge suppressor because I keep stealing the one out of the truck for something else. Standard home computer unit.

Let me add that the quality of the output of an inverter is (usually) proportional to the price you pay for it.

Chris Padilla
03-11-2004, 5:00 PM
Wow!!!! I didn't know that....but I guess that's what I get for being on the .000002 Hz frequency while everybody else is on 5Ghz.... :)

Hey Dennis,

For low-noise data collection, very low frequencies like you mention above are used. It is slow but a lot of those pictures you see from space (Hubble) are done this way (they also run the electroncis at cryogenic temps to further lower the noise floor). :D

Tyler Howell
03-11-2004, 6:50 PM
Hey Dennis,

For low-noise data collection, very low frequencies like you mention above are used. It is slow but a lot of those pictures you see from space (Hubble) are done this way (they also run the electroncis at cryogenic temps to further lower the noise floor). :D

What???:confused: