PDA

View Full Version : David marks clamps question

Scott Velie
02-13-2008, 4:20 PM
I watch David Marks sometimes and he frequently uses some clamps I am looking for. They are very deep. They resemble giant "C" clamps but I think they are actually bar clamps.
They look to have a 12"+ depth reach. They could be antiques I don't know. Does anybody know anything about them?
I suspect they are his favorite clamp because he uses them a lot.

Glenn Clabo
02-13-2008, 4:22 PM
These???
http://www.wetzler.com/gallery3.shtml

Scott Velie
02-13-2008, 4:34 PM
Yes thanks!
That's them. I did not know the brand. Prices are not bad.

Greg Cole
02-13-2008, 4:36 PM
Bessey makes a similar offering as well, or did. I have some in the shop at the day job...

Greg

Rick Levine
02-13-2008, 9:38 PM
I have the Bessey version also. They are model TG5.5XX. Replace the XX with the length you need in inches.

Peter Quinn
02-13-2008, 10:25 PM
I have the bessy version, man they could hold my house to the foundation in an earthquake. I think Hartford clamp Co. is out of business but they made similar and are a great find if you see them.

sascha gast
02-14-2008, 3:19 AM
I have a bunch of Wetzler clamps and I am a big fan. they are truly one of a kind, the clamping action is so smooth, brute force if needed and they open without any force at all.
also, the band clamps rock. david uses those as well

Wilbur Pan
02-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Another thumbs up to Wetzler clamps.

This may be the wrong forum for this comparison, but Wetzler is to clamps what Lie-Nielsen is to hand planes.

Chris Padilla
02-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Another thumbs up to Wetzler clamps.

This may be the wrong forum for this comparison, but Wetzler is to clamps what Lie-Nielsen is to hand planes.

Well, I have to admit I haven't used Wetzler but I have a shop full of Bessey.

I find it comforting to know that you can run to a certain brand for something and know you are getting your money's worth.

Sam Yerardi
02-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Scott,

Another source for deep-throated clamps is luthier (instrument maker) tools. Go to Stewart-MacDonald or Luthier's Mercantile and they have several different ones.

Mike Henderson
02-14-2008, 12:36 PM
I have the Bessey version also. They are model TG5.5XX. Replace the XX with the length you need in inches.
The TG5.5xx clamps have a 5 1/2 inch deep throat. Does anyone know if Bessey makes a deep throat clamp, maybe 12" deep?

I've been looking for some very deep throat clamps for special jobs but the 12" deep Wetzler's are a bit more than I'd like to pay right now.

Mike

Scott Velie
02-14-2008, 1:37 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to go with the wetzler. I can get by with the 9" so that will save a few dollars.

Chris Padilla
02-14-2008, 1:53 PM
The TG5.5xx clamps have a 5 1/2 inch deep throat. Does anyone know if Bessey makes a deep throat clamp, maybe 12" deep?

I've been looking for some very deep throat clamps for special jobs but the 12" deep Wetzler's are a bit more than I'd like to pay right now.

Mike

Mike, Bessey Tradesman Clamps (http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/368) are available in a 7" throat. I have 6 of the 16" long ones...tough, tough clamps.

However, THIS (http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Bessey-Deep-Throat-Clamp-32080.htm) is what you want but I'll be darned if I can find them available in the US! They used to be, I'm sure of it. 300 mm is about 12" but I've seen them go to 500 mm (about 20"!)

Rich Schneider
02-14-2008, 6:14 PM
The Wetzlers look to be very well made. Another great option is if you run across some old Hartford clamps. I acquired about 24 of them from a piano restoration/refinishing company that closed down. The look to be made as well or better than the Wetzlers...my Hartfords have the cast wing style handles...Hartford went out of business several years ago likely due to the fact that their clamps were even more expensive than the Wetzlers.....I hope to run across more Hartfords some day, but if I don't I'll have to look at the Wetzlers...