PDA

View Full Version : New Jointer and Drill press cover in grease

Derek Larson
02-13-2008, 2:47 PM
OK I just purchased a new Delta 6" jointer and a new delta drill press. To protect it from rust the manufactures coat the heck out of the cast iron with grease what is the best way to remove this grease (I am stopping buy ACE so hopefully it is a product I can get there)

Also what is the best way to protect the surface from rust I've heard that automotive wax is good like turtle wax, but others have said it stains the wood any thoughts?

Thank you

Mike McCann
02-13-2008, 2:54 PM
Derek
mineral spirits works great to take off the grease. I use t9 stuff on my cast iron.

Derek Larson
02-13-2008, 2:57 PM
Thank you I will get some mineral spirits, but not to sound like an idiot, what is t9 are u referring to a product to keep the iron from rusting and is it easy to find in a local home repair store?

Jared Hanson
02-13-2008, 2:57 PM
To remove the grease, I usually wipe off as much as possible and then use mineral spirits to finish the job. For protecting the top, I use Johnsons Paste Wax (does not discolor the wood). I bought the wax at Lowes, but I am sure you can find it other places.

Eric Gustafson
02-13-2008, 3:15 PM
what is t9?

http://www.theruststore.com/Boeshield-T-9-12-oz-Aerosol-P3C4.aspx?gclid=CL3looP9wZECFQUolgodi1QICw

Woodcrafts stocks it. It works well.

Jerome Hanby
02-13-2008, 3:26 PM
Another vote for Johnson's paste wax. I buy mine from Lowes too. I've got a can of Topcote, but haven't tried it out yet.

As for the grease, the smart guys here are saying mineral spirits, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that they are dead on.

Steve Sawyer
02-13-2008, 4:27 PM
While mineral spirits will work just dandy, I usually use a moderately strong solution of Simple Green with a Scotchbrite pad after removing as much as I can with rags or paper towels. Less noxious than mineral spirits, and less dangerous than the kerosene that some recommend.

And yeah, paste wax - Johnson's or Minwax or Renaissance Wax - works great. Auto wax often contains silicone which will interfere with finishing.

John Thompson
02-13-2008, 4:56 PM
The Johnson's paste wax from Lowe's in the cleaning section is furniture wax and has no silicones. Be careful to get it as I believe (not sure as they used too) Johnson's also makes automotive wax with silicone as most auto waxes available in auto parts stores and super-markets.

Sarge..

Randy Klein
02-13-2008, 5:50 PM
To remove the grease, I usually wipe off as much as possible and then use mineral spirits to finish the job. For protecting the top, I use Johnsons Paste Wax (does not discolor the wood). I bought the wax at Lowes, but I am sure you can find it other places.

That's what I do too.

DENNIS BURNS
02-13-2008, 6:11 PM
I cleaned a mini-max FS30 with WD40. Worked fine for me.

Peter Quinn
02-13-2008, 7:05 PM
I let wd-40 or Liquid Wrench (or is it Liquid Stench?) do the heavy lifting, then remove that residue with low odor mineral spirits.

I protect the tops with Boeshield when I'm feeling flush with cash or Butchers bowling alley past wax when I'm feeling like a workout.

Alex Berkovsky
02-13-2008, 7:47 PM
I have used kerosene to remove cosmoline.

Bill Wyko
02-13-2008, 9:08 PM
I used wax & grease remover available at automotive paint suppliers. It's safe on clothes, vinyl, cloth and just about anything I've ever put it on. It will also break down contact adheisive if you ever stick something together missaligned. It'll disolve cosmoline easily too. BTW low odor as well.

Joe Close
02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
I bought a can of 3M Citrus Base Cleaner. Smells like oranges. Designed to remove grease, oil, and dirt. Its non-corrosive to metal. Kind of pricey though. Although, a little goes a long ways..

Jim Becker
02-14-2008, 9:37 AM
The "grease" is likely cosmoline. Start with kerosene and once you get the majority off, switch to mineral spirits to clean things up. Then protect your bare cast iron with your choice of coatings. I use plain wax. (SC Johnson, Butcher's, Minwax, etc...nothing with silicone! EG, NO car wax)

Mike Goetzke
02-14-2008, 10:30 AM
OK I just purchased a new Delta 6" jointer and a new delta drill press. To protect it from rust the manufactures coat the heck out of the cast iron with grease what is the best way to remove this grease (I am stopping buy ACE so hopefully it is a product I can get there)

Also what is the best way to protect the surface from rust I've heard that automotive wax is good like turtle wax, but others have said it stains the wood any thoughts?

Thank you

Congrats on the new tools! I would suggest you follow something similar to this to set up you surfaces (this is how I do it based on info I learned from others):

1) Remove the coating. (Mineral spirits or even Greased Lightening.)

2) Spray the top generously with WD-40. Use a gray Scotch Brite pad under a 1/4 sheet finish sander (or ROS - but it's messier). Move slowly in the direction of the grind with slight pressure. Make several passes. Clean WD-40 off with clean rags.

3) Repeat (2)

4) Apply Boeshield T-9. Let set for several hours then remove excess with a clean cloth.

5) Apply an even coat of Johnson's paste wax. Let set for 10-20 minutes and rub it down with a clean rag.

6) I usually don't do this but some will take a say 3"x10" piece of ply or hardwood, apply downward pressure, and run it back and forth over the surface.

Depending how often I use the tool I reapply a coat of paste wax about once a week or every other week.

Every 6- months I clean my top with Greased Lightening, reapply T-9, and apply a fresh coat of paste wax.

There are many ways to do this - this is just one.

Mike