PDA

View Full Version : Round vs Square

Derek Tuchscherer
02-13-2008, 1:55 PM
Someone asked this question on another forum and there wasn't any real definitive answers, so I thought I'd ask it here. As I am really curious about this as well.

"Is there any reason why a plywood 6 x 6 box can't be used for dust collector piping along a wall? it can also be used as a small shelf as a pipe is hard to balance things on."

Thanks

Derek

Chris Padilla
02-13-2008, 2:02 PM
I think for smoothest airflow (i.e. less turbulent) it make sense to me to have a circular cross-section as opposed to a square. The reason is that from the center of a circle to its edge, we have a uniform distance. A square is not so uniform. Of course, I'm far from an expert in "air movement" so I could be totally wrong.

Another thought is that perhaps metal and plastic are smoother than wood.

jason lambert
02-13-2008, 2:05 PM
WIth that logic all ductwork in a house may be inefficent. But than again they are not moving a high volume of air.

Greg Muller
02-13-2008, 2:09 PM
WIth that logic all ductwork in a house may be inefficent. But than again they are not moving a high volume of air.

They also are not moving solids...

Chris Padilla
02-13-2008, 2:12 PM

HVAC in a house is "simply" transferring heat and not tiny little wood particles nor large shavings...at least on purpose!! :eek:

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-13-2008, 2:17 PM
Someone asked this question on another forum and there wasn't any real definitive answers, so I thought I'd ask it here. As I am really curious about this as well.

"Is there any reason why a plywood 6 x 6 box can't be used for dust collector piping along a wall? it can also be used as a small shelf as a pipe is hard to balance things on."

Thanks

Derek

No reason at all.

Scott Long
02-13-2008, 2:33 PM
I belive that round has less resistance than sqaure. Air is like water it will follow the path of least resistance.

Why can't you build a box around the duct? Just sleeve it right over the duct. That's what I would do in this kind of situation.

Bill Huber
02-13-2008, 2:44 PM
The square would have more volume then the round.

As the air flow goes I can't see it making any difference but like others I am sure not an expert in air flow like others have stated.

Jason Beam
02-13-2008, 2:48 PM
They also are not moving solids...

Bingo!!

The airflow may be fine, but when it comes to moving solids, the air isn't moving uniformly in a square. This will be obvious after a few months of using square ducts - open it up and you'll find sawdust settled in the lower corners. It doesn't cause much more turbulence, it just causes a less uniform material handling flow.

Prashun Patel
02-13-2008, 2:54 PM
Is there any reason why a plywood 6 x 6 box can't be used for dust collector piping along a wall? it can also be used as a small shelf as a pipe is hard to balance things on.

You could always build a box around the pipe...
Or, put a shelf on the wall and strap the pipe to the bottom of the shelf.