PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer Problem Help!!

Eric Porter
03-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Last night, I was finally getting around to installing the 50" Biesemeyer fence system on my new Unisaw, but I couldn't get the rails to line up to the template that came with it.

According to the installation instructions, and the template, the rail is suppossed to be exactly 2 27/32" below the table top. In bold in the manual, it says THIS IS A CRITICAL MEASUREMENT so I figured that it is fairly important to get this correct. However, no matter how hard I tried, I can't get it to line up. The best I can do is 2 31/32". The problem is that the mounting holes are countersunk, so when you tighten the mounting screw, it pulls the rail down in order to fully seat the bolt in the mounting hole.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks,
Eric

Mark Mazzo
03-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on how to fix?

Eric,

I'm not sure if you have the commercial or the homeshop version of the fence (I have the homeshop version on my saw). However, when I installed mine I realized that the template that was shipped with the fence was the one for the commercial fence. The dimensions are different for the two fences since the tubes are of different diameters. I called Biesemeyer and asked about the template. They sent out a new template in the mail, but also gave me the dimensions necessary for my fence. With the dimensions I was able to modify the existing template and install the fence without issue (because the homeshop dimension is less that that of the commercial version).

I'd suggest that you give them a call and ask for the appropriate dimension for you fence system. Then just make a template out of hardboard or some other scrap if you can't modify the one that you already have.

Hope this helps.

--Mark

Byron Trantham
03-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Eric, I have the Unisaw with the Beis. I just measured mine and it is 2 30/32". The bottom line is, once you mount the tube to the angle iron and drop the fence in place, the fence has to be sightly above the table so it will move freely. I would go ahead and mount the tube, drop in the fence and see what happens. If is touching the table surface, the tube has to come up. That can be done by either elongating the holes in the edge of the table or place a spacing washer between the tube and angle iron. I had a Sears contractor saw with a Beis and I had to use the spacer washers to get the right relationship.

I'll bet that once you assemble the fence you'll find that it is ok.

Ed Falis
03-09-2004, 2:41 PM
Just another data point to consider. On my Bies commercial clone, they gave a similar measurement and then said that the absolute measurement was not critical, but that the piece needed to be exactly parallel to the table top. So, I suspect that there's a bit of slack there that can be adjusted via the set screws on the fence head (and if you consider them, you'll see that there is).

- Ed

Joe Bourbois
03-10-2004, 1:39 AM
Eric, my Biesemeyer commercial fence manual only uses the "critical measurement" language in reference to installing the fence on saws other than a Delta. I think what is critical on your unisaw is that the front rail is parallel to the top. The exact dimension from top to rail is less important.

Eric Porter
03-10-2004, 3:25 PM
First, I wanted to thank everyone for their input.

I ended up speaking with the folks at Biesmeyer, and they confirmed that it is critical for the front rail to be exactly 2 27/32" below the table surface. This is so the fence slides across the table and guide tube correctly. After trying unsuccessfully for about two hours to align it, I thought it might be wise to measure the holes in the table, and the holes in the front rail. The table was exactly 16", but the holes in the rail were 16 1/16. Eureka! I found the problem. Again I spoke with the people at Biesmeyer, and they confirmed the the holes should be 16" on center, so they will be sending me a new front rail. It also turned out that the holes to mount the guide tube didn't match either.

I am glad to know the problem and solution, but I hate waiting for the new parts to arrive.

Eric

Ed Falis
03-10-2004, 5:54 PM
Glad you got the solution, Eric. Won't be long now before you're using that puppy.

- Ed