PDA

View Full Version : shaper feeder question

Denny Wayman
02-13-2008, 6:32 AM
I have a question for everyone. I am debating getting a power feeder for my shaper for the cross grain cuts, especially on raised panel doors. I have a coping sled that would work, but i don't want to have to make the "with the grain cuts", then adjust my cutter head height to make the cross grain cuts.

An idea i had was to use the miter gauge that came with my craftsman 22114 table saw. It has a clamp on it. I figured if I could use it there wouldn't be any adjusting of the cutter head height.

Do any of you use a miter gauge like this to cut cross grain on the shaper?

Additionally, when using a sled on the shaper, is your over the cutter guard installed?

Ron Williams
02-13-2008, 8:14 AM
Make a special fence for raising panels (1 piece) this will keep your panel from kicking back. You can then shape the ends with or without a feeder. This will make the entire operation much safer

Peter Quinn
02-13-2008, 10:05 AM
I raise all panels with the feeder. For narrow cross grain I use one piece fence backed into the panel raiser to create a zero clearance effect, leaves a continuous bearing surface for panel tongue. Use band saw to create radius relief on back of fence to avoid fence/spindle contact. Additionally when possible I process 2X to 3X the width of a single narrow panel on cross grain, then rip to width and run edge grain.

Have seen other guys double stick tape a piece of mdf (1/2") perpendicular to several narrow panels, run cross grain on the whole assembly, then separate and run edge grain. Never tried it myself but seemed to work.

I find it difficult to achieve consistant panel tongue thickness using sleds/miters/clamps. Power-feed creates a much more consistent reference between table and cutter height.

Greg Funk
02-13-2008, 11:03 AM
I like to raise panels in one-pass with the feeder. Using the feeder also gives you the option of climb-cutting if you experience any tearout.

Greg

Joe Chritz
02-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I use a baby feeder for raised panels. In fact I am just going out to plow snow yet again then gluing up the panels for 27 doors.

My intent this time is to make as many big panels as possible then rip to the smaller ones after the cope cut as mentioned already. I was thinking it would make it much easier to process and handle that way. Glad to know I'm not alone.

As much as I like this little feeder I am sure that a real 1/4HP or bigger would be fantastic.

Joe