PDA

View Full Version : Shop progress

Paul B. Cresti
03-09-2004, 9:32 AM
Well my shop is progressing and it is a little cleaner now. I still have the DC to install along will finding homes for all the little stuff. The machines are running but have not been fined tuned yet ( I have not heard them run in 15 months!) I was singing the song to myself, "reunited and it feels soo good....." Thank God I live in a rural area you do not want to hear me sing :eek:. I also need to build my new work bench with my vises, install more lighting, install the door you can see in the corner, eventually paint the floors, walls and ceiling (if that ever happens), etc..... By the way if you are curious I did install heat. It consists of baseboard hydronic radiators which are tucked under the miter saw station on one side and the tool bench on the other.

Tyler Howell
03-09-2004, 9:40 AM
Looking Real Good Paul. I think I almost like that part of the process best. Enjoy.

Scott Coffelt
03-09-2004, 10:06 AM
there's now way that cyclone is going to collect dust with the drum not attached :D . Looks good.

Chad Pater
03-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Shop is lookin great. The question is, did you catch that fish or is that one of those singing 'Billy Bass'? Either way no shop is complete without one.

John Miliunas
03-09-2004, 10:16 AM
there's now way that cyclone is going to collect dust with the drum not attached :D . Looks good.

Well, even if it was attached, looks to me like the intake side is pointed in the wrong direction! :D Paul, do you plan on putting walls around the Woodsucker? Kind of "a 'la Becker"? It's not as obnoxious as my big shop vac, but if you're running it for a while, I'd think an enclosure is wise. Also, the singing Bass and the smiley face sticker is cute! :D Keep us posted to progress. Looks to me like it's coming together real, real nicely. After 15 months, I'll bet you simply just can't wait to get those tools humming away! :cool:

Bart Leetch
03-09-2004, 10:59 AM
I was just wondering why your jointer is so far from your cabinet-saw & turned 90 degrees to it. From all I've seen in cabinet shops the jointer is placed close to the table-saw & running parallel to it as is the planer.

If my shop was big enough I would have my jointer to the right of the table-saw where I could take about 5-6 steps to the right & be standing at the left side of the jointer. I have had it positioned like this in the past & it is wonderful to work with the 2 tools set up this way. I don't believe the planer is quite so critical but I sure would have it set up parallel with the other 2 tools somewhere close. :)

Ted Shrader
03-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Paul -

You have come a long way in the set up with only some fine tuning to do. (If you are cutting wood, the rest is fine tuning!) Looks good.

OK, I'll bite. . . . What is a hydronic heater?

Ted

Bart Leetch
03-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Paul -

You have come a long way in the set up with only some fine tuning to do. (If you are cutting wood, the rest is fine tuning!) Looks good.

OK, I'll bite. . . . What is a hydronic heater?

Ted
Ted

I believe they are water filled base board heaters. They also make oil filled heaters like these.

Mark Bachler
03-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Great looking shop. How big is it? (the shop not the fish)

Paul B. Cresti
03-09-2004, 11:43 AM
My fish is a "CoolCatfish" (not caught) my kids love it, we take multiple trips out to the shop to see him.

Yes the WoodSucker cyclone needs to be turned and rehung in order to maximize my ceiling height ( I forgot how heavy that thing is) I will most likely not build a closet for it. The noise while being loud and very low frequency does not bother me. I also always where hearing protection.

"hydronic base board heaters" is the official name for hot water filled base board radiators. Plus it makes me sound more professional.

I situated the jointer to maximize the length of boards I can use without moving any piece of equipment (also the same for all the equipment). I have all dedicated outlets (plus future DC ducting) running down the enclosed columns you see. I also chose to keep that open area behind the Unisaw as an assembly area. I do understand what you are saying and I at least did situate the jointer and planer so that as I finish the cut I am in line to turn and walk to the Unisaw.

Jim Becker
03-09-2004, 2:03 PM
Lookin' good, Paul. Nice space. Regarding your paint, you'll probably find your lighting will improve "hugely" if you get some white or off-white paint on those walls. Maybe the kids can help you...hee hee :D

Jason Tuinstra
03-09-2004, 8:09 PM
Paul, great looking space. You have a nice selection of tools as well. I'd love to have that much room to make dust in. Thanks for giving us a tour de force.