PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak Bowl

Dan Oliphant
02-12-2008, 11:55 PM
This red oak bowl started out as a natural edge design. Unfortunately after the rough out, and DNA soaking for five days, one very major crack developed, and the piece warped considerably. This happened about three weeks into bagging. At first I was going to continue the piece as a natural edged cracked piece, well because the warping was so bad, leaving the bark in place looked really bad. I was about to throw it away, then got the hair brained idea to remove the bark, add another "split" and continue on. This piece had a lot of stress cracks as you can see, they are filled with brass. The additional holes were added to accent the cracks.
I have kind of warmed to the piece, but can't think of a proper description. Any thoughts on the description and/or comments on the piece are welcomed.

Bob Hamilton
02-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Good save, Dan. I think I would be tempted to string a leather lace through the holes to make it look like it is tied together. :)

Take care
Bob

Jeff Bower
02-13-2008, 9:46 AM
Dan, I agree with Bob...if you don't like it just untie it. Nice save.

Tim Malyszko
02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
I really like the piece. It has a very distinct shape and the holes and cracks really make the piece. Nice save!!!

Tom Sherman
02-13-2008, 12:04 PM
A nice save Dan.