PDA

View Full Version : Jet edge sander problems

Kyle Jorgensen
02-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Hello,

I have a Jet EHVS-80 edge sander (6"x89"). I have a heck of a time setting up 90 degrees. There are no positive stops that I can find. Any hints? Anyone worked with this type of edge sander?

Thanks
-Kyle

Steve knight
02-13-2008, 12:50 AM
I know the lack of stops sucks. I pretty much never change it over anymore so it is not an issue. bit was disappointed in the lack of stops myself. Plus the belt speed is so fast it makes dust collection problematic.

Mitchell Andrus
02-13-2008, 8:37 AM
I've had one to 5 years or so. I set it to 90 and never change it. I do have a few jigs for holding small parts at certain angles.

I'd like it to travel in the other dirrection, R to L.

Dave Lehnert
02-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Could you use a Wixey? I have one to use with my table saw and love it.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5894

John Hollaway
02-13-2008, 11:17 AM
I have the same sander, and I'm here to tell you that the solution begins with your last name. I use one of my "JORGENSEN" F clamps, stretched betwen from the rear of the vertical platen and the front edge of the horizontal table, to pull the vertical platen to exactly 90 degrees. While the platen is being held at 90 degrees with the clamp I simply actuate the lock. Job done.

Steve Clardy
02-13-2008, 11:28 AM
I have the same sander.
Once I got it lined up and square and locked down, I've never tilted it.

Never had a need to lay the head down.

Kyle Jorgensen
02-13-2008, 5:44 PM
Thanks for the clamp idea, John. I'll try that.

I think I too am to the conclusion that once I get it set I've never adjust it.

Have any of you guys had trouble with the Roller Arm rattling? I think it may be my spring is worn out and not pushing full force on it. I don't know how old it is, but the Jet is blue and that's been a while since they made blue machines. I ordered a new spring so I'll see.

-Kyle

Steve Clardy
02-13-2008, 6:26 PM
Thanks for the clamp idea, John. I'll try that.

I think I too am to the conclusion that once I get it set I've never adjust it.

Have any of you guys had trouble with the Roller Arm rattling? I think it may be my spring is worn out and not pushing full force on it. I don't know how old it is, but the Jet is blue and that's been a while since they made blue machines. I ordered a new spring so I'll see.

-Kyle

Mine is also blue.

Check and make sure theres no debree around the spring.

Also check the end roller bearings. Remove belt and see if theres any noise while turning the roller by hand.