PDA

View Full Version : Huh

Will Overton
02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
I read this;

"SawmillCreek is an entirely member supported community and relies on your support to keep it alive."

What about the ads across the top of the screen ... ?

Don Abele
02-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Will, until recently the only way the Creek stayed flowing was through donations made by the members. Keith resisted placing ads on the site but was forced to go in that direction after the poor results of the last funds drive. Those of us that contributed don't see those ads (I had to log out and come back as a guest to see what you were talking about). Additionally, contributors have additional benefits such as FreeStuff Drawings, the Lumber Yard, and the Classifieds.

For the mere $6 recommended donation per year I guarantee you will get more information and advice here than from any magazine subscription out there which costs many times that. I'm always amazed at the breadth of knowledge and experience here at the Creek.

Be well,

Doc

Rob Russell
02-12-2008, 10:46 PM
That line may need to be changed in the site description. Until recently, noone saw ads. Keith can't keep the site running with just the contributions from members (SMC had its first million-hit day last fall), so the banner ads are a way to keep the lights on at SMC.

If you contribute to SMC, you won't see the ads. I don't. :)

Mitchell Andrus
02-13-2008, 8:32 AM
Wow, I din't know the ads were there either.

Greg Muller
02-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Ads? What ads??? Do you mean this one?:

SUPPORT THE CREEK!!!
$6/Year BUYS YOU AD FREE USE, FREE STUFF OPPORTUNITIES AND SELLING POWER!!!!!

That's the only ad I see...:p

Greg

Dennis Peacock
02-13-2008, 2:55 PM

SUPPORT THE CREEK!!!

Greg

Wow!!! Couldn't have said it any better myself. :D

Dave Verstraete
02-13-2008, 3:03 PM

SUPPORT THE CREEK!!!

Greg

That says it all. I've been a contributor/member for a very short time and have already found more info than anywhere else

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-13-2008, 6:17 PM
I read this;

"SawmillCreek is an entirely member supported community and relies on your support to keep it alive."

What about the ads across the top of the screen ... ?

I don't see any ads. You must be seeing things.

Now I know my Doctorate isn't in Medicine but I think I have the cure:
Give a lousy $6.00 to the creek. They are really sophisticated now, they take plastic.
IT's $6.00 and they take plastic It can't be any easier than that.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-13-2008, 7:17 PM
BTW.......................NOTHING says you can't donate MORE, if you think the site is worth it.

I guess I should increase my donation. I feel I get much more than I pay for!

Bruce

Jim O'Dell
02-13-2008, 7:53 PM
I'm a contruibutor, but this morning I did see a banner ad to the right of the logo. It was for the Hitachi router at Amazon for 89.95. I thought that was strange since I'm a contributor. It was only there for 4 or 5 hours. And it wasn't obtrusive. It didn't bother me, I just thought it was odd. Maybe for contributors, we will get to see some really special prices, but not ads all the time?
And I wouldn't mind having a link I could click on while still logged in that would show me the current ads. If there is a special I'm interested in, I would sure like SMC to get the credit for the sale! Jim.

Dennis Peacock
02-13-2008, 8:12 PM
Jim,

Changes are taking place behind the scenes. We all may see ADs from time to time as changes are put in place and checked.