PDA

View Full Version : J/P combo mobility

Curt Harms
02-12-2008, 7:36 PM
There is a related thread but I decided to start another one rather than hijack the existing thread. Below are 3 pics of the mobile base I dreamed up. I based it on one in Wood Magazine a few years ago, except it's steel, stouter, and the handle is removable. The issues I had were
The machine had to be portable.
The handles couldn't obstruct the planer infeed
I didn't want to push or pull on the tables to move it.
I didn't want to bend over to lock or unlock any locking mechanisms.The handles are temporary, I had no real idea how long they needed to be in order to lift one end of the mobile base without too much effort. They're just under 3' now, I think I'll make the permanent ones 6"-9" longer. It works pretty well, just hook angle iron bolted to the front casters under the angle iron of the raised portion of the base, push down on the handle which lifts the front of the machine and roll away. I thought about making all 4 wheels swivel instead of just the front 2 but decided against it for now. That may change with use, we'll see. I don't need to maneuver it a lot, just straight out and perhaps turn 90 degrees. One day soon I'll actually run some wood through this thing:o

Jim Becker
02-12-2008, 7:42 PM
Wow....nice job on that, Curt!

Don Abele
02-12-2008, 8:13 PM
Curt, that's a really nice base. You know it's funny, I have TONS of metal stock, a MIG welder, and a Plasma Cutter and yet I still wind up buying mobile bases out of lack of time to build my own. So I'm envious of yours. It looks really nice and will work as you designed it.

OK...here's the big question - how did you lift 600# onto that base??? :eek:

On "the other thread" I was asking specific questions about upgrading to a Grizzly combo unit. The only reason I listed the Grizzly instead of the Jet was the shelix head. All my other major tools are Jet. Can you comment on your impression of your Jet Combo (and not to hijack your thread...post in the other one).

Be well,

Doc

Curt Harms
02-13-2008, 1:56 AM
OK...here's the big question - how did you lift 600# onto that base??? :eek:

I took the jointer tables off to move the machine down concrete steps to the basement. I figure the planer portion weighed about 400 lbs. It was on an appliance cart so we just tipped it back, put the front edge over the mobile base and wiggled it into position.

On "the other thread" I was asking specific questions about upgrading to a Grizzly combo unit. The only reason I listed the Grizzly instead of the Jet was the shelix head. All my other major tools are Jet. Can you comment on your impression of your Jet Combo

Be well,

Doc[/quote]

I haven't run any wood through it yet--very limited time to play with it. I'm also curious about the quality of the planing function, I had a Delta 13" benchtop that left an excellent finish. The jointer fence is kinda cheesy but it's set it and leave it so once I get it to 90* I don't expect to move it from there. A nice aspect of the Jet is you don't have to remove the jointer fence to switch to Planer mode--the Grizzly requires jointer fence removal. The Jet doesn't offer a segmented head yet but that may change. I'm sure a Shelix head could be made to fit but that wouldn't be cheap. If the diameters were the same I wouldn't be surprised if the Grizzly cutterhead would fit.

HTH

Curt