PDA

View Full Version : Another chuck jaw question

Chris Barnett
02-12-2008, 7:35 PM
Had asked about chuck jaws for pens, but then thought about vases, which are typically much longer [taller] than a bowl, and thus can have very high asymmetrical forces if out of balance. For a SuperNova2 chuck, which jaw might be better suited for end held vases after inital shaping as a spindle? Or are the internals cut another way?

Jim Becker
02-12-2008, 7:39 PM
You use the jaws that best fit the diameter of your tenon. EG, they should be as clost to the "optimum" orientation as possible. Every jaw set for each chuck has an ideal tenon diameter. And don't forget you need a shoulder at the top of the tenon for the top of the jaws to rest on. This is critical to good holding power as well as the ability to remount in a balanced fashion should you need to do so.

Allen Neighbors
02-12-2008, 9:13 PM
Chris, I have used the Nova 47mm Spigot Jaws to hold vases up to 13" deep, but I also use a steady rest so it helps take some of the torque off the tenon.
The 47mm Spigot Jaws will grip a 2.25" diameter tenon that's 7/8" long, perfectly. The tenon won't touch the bottom of the jaws, and the serrated jaws really grip!
The only jaws that I've found that are better for a Nova Chuck are the PowerGrip Jaws.

Kevin McPeek
02-12-2008, 9:53 PM
The only jaws that I've found that are better for a Nova Chuck are the PowerGrip Jaws.

I agree, these are my favorite jaws. Not too mention they are large enough that you can turn the tenon into a foot in a lot of cases. I have the 45 mm spigot jaws and have used them once. I found that I don't use the serrated jaws much, I prefer to use a dovetail.

Chris Barnett
02-12-2008, 11:14 PM
That's really good news. I had already ordered the standard powergrip jaws [hopefully comment was not regarding the special titan only powergrips]. In retrospect, was thinking the spigot jaws might hold better since they have serrations from stem to stern. Now I need not spend the extra clams.

Paul Engle
02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Chris I use the 47mm for recess ( mortice) holding as it gives more room between the chuck body and piece in case one needs to " clean up the bottom or etc.I finish on the chuck so this helps sand and finish with out having to remove and reset.