PDA

View Full Version : Oneway Talon and Jet 1642

Brad Hammond
02-12-2008, 7:31 PM
help me out. i'm confused.:p

i cant seem to find what i'm looking for. is there an adapter for the talon to be used on a large lathe? jet 1642 to be specific. i use it on my jet mini, but as you know the threads are different for the 1642. i checked out oneway's site but i didnt think the adapters they have were for swapping this chuck between lathes.

thanx all!!
brad

Jim Becker
02-12-2008, 7:35 PM
Yes, the Talon can have a different insert installed to change the threading to match your new lathe. I did exactly that when I upgraded to my Stubby. You can buy the insert separately directly from OneWay or from most of their retailers. Just specify that you have the Talon and what the size and thread pitch of your machine is when you order.

BTW, the inserts fit VERY snugly. You'll likely need to use one of the set-screws in the special "jack it out" hole to remove it. For this reason, I suggest to you that you will not be often changing the insert to use the chuck on two different lathes. It's not a "quick" change like exchanging jaws is due to the very tight tolerances on the taper between the insert and the chuck.

Brad Hammond
02-12-2008, 7:44 PM
sweet! thanx jim! and thanx for the advice! i'll certainly keep that in mind!

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2008, 7:58 PM
Brad - everything Jim told you is correct. I have the Talon and also upgraded my lathe from a Craftsman Mono-Tube to a Jet 1642. I bought the adapter to fit the Jet and just changed it over - it's real simple. The adapter for the Jet is for a 1 1/4" x 8 tpi spindle.

Don Orr
02-13-2008, 2:36 PM
I just got an adapter from Craft Supplies USA last week to put a Talon on my Jet 1642. They are not listed in the catalog, but in the fineprint it says they are available. Just give a call and tell them what you need. Very helpful people there. I also asked them if they could help save me any shipping and she said they would weigh it and charge me actual cost. The adapter is $29.99. Arrived very quickly, great service !

Robert McGowen
02-14-2008, 12:21 AM
I did the same thing also, a Jet mini to a 1642. I just received 2 adapters from Hartvilletool. $21.99 each with free shipping on orders over $75. With the 2 adapters, an extra chuck body, #3 jaws, and a 1/2" chuck with a #2 morse taper, the $75 minimum for free shipping wasn't a problem. :D (no affiliation to company, just a customer)

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
02-15-2008, 8:12 PM
Hello Guys, this is my first to post. Am a new member but have been sneaking around for a while. i have several friends with mini-lathes and now one of us has a lathe with the 1 1/4 x 8 spindle. We bought an adaptor from PSI (can i say there name?) with the 1 1/4 x 8 for the head stock and 1 x 8 for the varies chcuks and stuff we have. This way we only bought one adaptor.

So far it has worked...i do not think we have over loaded the 1 x 8 yet.

Brad Hammond
02-15-2008, 8:36 PM
thanx everyone! and thanx doc! may i be the first to welcome you.