PDA

View Full Version : trouble accessing site

Jay Jolliffe
02-12-2008, 6:49 PM
Anyone else having a hard time getting in here. My bookmark that I have used for over 2 yrs sends me to another site. Other people over at lumberjocks are having the same problem..

Floyd Cox
02-12-2008, 6:56 PM
Had the same problem this morning took some serching for the right address.

Tim Morton
02-12-2008, 7:03 PM
I had the same problem this morning...it took me to some search engine sight. But it claimed to be sawmillcreek.org. Tonight I used the same bookmark and I got right in.

Jim Becker
02-12-2008, 7:28 PM
Folks, this is explained in the Forum Technical Support forum in a reply that Keith made earlier today. The SMC domain expired due to a missed email, but it's now renewed. Unfortunately some DNS servers don't refresh quickly (some ISP's take up to 24 hours due to their server settings) so a certain percentage of the SMC community population can't see the site at the proper address. They, instead, get redirected to a useless links page held by the registrar. Everything should be fine for everyone by sometime tomorrow.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Art Mulder
02-12-2008, 8:41 PM
Unfortunately some DNS servers don't refresh quickly (some ISP's take up to 24 hours due to their server settings) so a certain percentage of the SMC community population can't see the site at the proper address. They, instead, get redirected to a useless links page held by the registrar. Everything should be fine for everyone by sometime tomorrow.

I'd bet that "a certain percentage" is pretty darn large. Just look at how few new posts are coming in to SMC today.

I've seen this before in my IT work, and 24hrs is pretty much it for a DNS change like this. So many other things have gotten very fast on the Internet, but 10 years later and it still takes about 24hrs for a DNS change to fully propagate around the world.

Floyd Cox
02-13-2008, 5:53 AM
Folks, this is explained in the Forum Technical Support forum in a reply that Keith made earlier today. The SMC domain expired due to a missed email, but it's now renewed. Unfortunately some DNS servers don't refresh quickly (some ISP's take up to 24 hours due to their server settings) so a certain percentage of the SMC community population can't see the site at the proper address. They, instead, get redirected to a useless links page held by the registrar. Everything should be fine for everyone by sometime tomorrow.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Jim, I am still not able to get on at (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php)) as of this morning but using (http://70.169.135.35/index.php (http://70.169.135.35/index.php)) there is no problem.
I’ll bet buy the time I get home from work this evening all will be back to norm.

Tim Morton
02-13-2008, 6:46 AM

Jim
SMC Moderator

I never even knew there was a tech support forum here...its fun to learn new things:D

Jim Becker
02-13-2008, 2:28 PM
I never even knew there was a tech support forum here...its fun to learn new things

It used to just be called the "Support Forum" but nobody ever read the description under the name...and just posted all kinds of questions there...which then had to get moved by the moderators to the correct place for "support" questions about tools, wood, etc.

"Forum Technical Support" is a little bolder expression and hopefully is more recognizable for what it is. But if you only access using "New Posts", it would be easy to miss the name change since you don't really see forum names...the one downside to that method of browsing SMC.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Jeffrey Makiel
02-13-2008, 2:55 PM
Jim...thank goodness. I missed your similin' face that day. When a blank screen came up, I saw my own reflection in the monitor, and it scared me. :)
-Jeff :)

Dave Verstraete
02-13-2008, 3:18 PM
Same thing happened to me yesterday. I was shocked. Ten minutes later, the shakes started. My mouth turned dry. I needed a fix. Then I realized that I was addicted. It washed over me like a flood. Five years after quitting smoking, I had another addiction.

I guess that I'll just have to go out and buy some more tools to overcome it.

Shawn Walker
02-14-2008, 7:25 PM
Here I was thinking.... Great... I just paid my six bucks, and now they are gone. What a rip! :p

Keith Outten
02-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Shawn,

The Creek isn't gong anywhere. Wait till you see what we have planned for the rest of this year :)