PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Drill chuck

Marty Barron
02-12-2008, 5:51 PM
I have a new lathe and I need to get a new drill chuck. I have decided to go with a keyless drill chuck that has No. 3 Morse Taper. Has anyone had any problems with a keyless drill chuck on the lathe? What is a good brand of keyless drill chuck to purchase?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marty

Harry Goodwin
02-12-2008, 7:11 PM
I've often written emails to tool companies that go entirely to keyless chucks. If old age is a possibility the key is priceless. I can tighten a chuck with far greater holding power with the key. I also have a host of drills that are keyless because of the desire to have good new drills. Harry

Bill Stevener
02-12-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a new lathe and I need to get a new drill chuck. I have decided to go with a keyless drill chuck that has No. 3 Morse Taper. Has anyone had any problems with a keyless drill chuck on the lathe? What is a good brand of keyless drill chuck to purchase?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Marty

There arent any....

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2008, 10:36 PM
I tried a keyless chuck and it does not have the holding power the keyed chuck has especially when using forstner bit. I don't like'em.

Tim A. Mitchell
02-13-2008, 2:01 AM
I watched a demo, and the keyless chuck kept coming loose. The demonstrator indicate he wished he was using a keyed chuck.

I have a keyed, and have no issues.

robert hainstock
02-13-2008, 8:23 AM
Yhey've said it all. Keyless=bad idea. Go with a Jacobs. :):)
Bob

John W. Willis
02-13-2008, 8:39 AM
Same here keyed chuck, you'll be happier and so will the attachments that you chuck up.

Kevin McPeek
02-13-2008, 8:39 AM
I have a keyless chuck and haven't had it come loose or anything like that. I have used large Forstner bits up to 1 3/4". I have had it spin in the Taper though. Mine is some no name from ebay but looks like the one on Craft Supplies. I've never thought I needed to change to anything else.

Jim Davenport
02-13-2008, 8:53 AM
I'll take the other side. About fifteen years ago I picked up an "Albrecht" keyless chuck at a yard sale. It has been great. It's very convenient not to mess with a chuck key for most of what I drill.
Of course if you had to buy a new Albrecht they're very pricey.
I don't know how good the chinese clones I've seen at Wholesale tool, and Northern tool are.

Paul Engle
02-13-2008, 10:33 AM
I have used keyless chucks exclusively for years and on the lathe have no problem, if you have to reef on em ( keyed) to get em to hold then something may not be right. I have two from Woodcrafte about 29$ I use on my lathe and dp and are of very good quality in #2 mt , not sure about the #3 mt.This is the one I have .
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4851

JerHall
02-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Whatever you get consider one that is female threaded at the end of the morse taper so you can make and use a drawbar. This way you can safely use it in the headstock

JerHall
02-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Here is on I found on ebay that is MT3, Keyless, and provides for a drawbar. (Googled: drawbar mt3 chuck)
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2-KEYLESS-DRILL-CHUCK-MT3-DRAWBAR-ARBOR_W0QQitemZ170193359810QQihZ007QQcategoryZ4194 7QQcmdZViewItem