PDA

View Full Version : Gravograph

Brian Robison
02-12-2008, 4:27 PM
Any one out there have experience with a Gravograph laser?
Does it take Corel files directly to the laser?
Rotary?

Thanks

Robert Ray
02-13-2008, 10:10 AM
It says "Engraving software with integrated driver" in the .pdf brochure, so I suspect they designed it to only use their software, but call them and ask if you can import files into their software?

This is the first I have heard about their lasers. I am always looking for better quality lasers, so I like reading the specs.

-Robert

Brian Robison
02-13-2008, 11:13 AM
I did some research and it looks like it takes Corel. I guess I'll call them, they don't seem to be answering my e mail.

Mike Null
02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Brian

I don't believe it takes Corel. You may be able to export Corel as a PLT file.

Jack Briggs
02-13-2008, 12:02 PM
I worked with a couple of Gravograph machines over the past 8 yrs. It seems to me the current machines can use .eps, which Corel can export as.

Brian Robison
02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Here's what I found yesterday.

Brian Robison
02-13-2008, 2:27 PM
WOW!!!!
Try contacting a person at Gravograve!!!!!
IT CAN'T BE DONE!!
How do these companies stay open for business?

Joe Pelonio
02-13-2008, 2:39 PM
When I was looking at lasers I spoke to a person that has used New Hermes rotary equipment for years, and after hearing his experience trying to import Corel files to their proprietary software I took it right off my list of possible manufacturers.

Due to my previous experience with plotters, I decided never to buy any equipment that will not allow importing/exporting of standard format files.

Mike Null
02-13-2008, 8:54 PM
Even though they make great engravers they really suck at customer service. I vowed several years back never to give them another chance.

Brian Robison
02-14-2008, 8:28 AM
That's what I seem to be finding too. Without good service the product is almost worthless.

Mark Winlund
02-14-2008, 11:57 AM
After being in the trade for 30 years, I can say that New Hermes is pretty much on the decline. They were once suppliers of the finest pantograph equipment you could buy. When CNC engravers came out, they made the mistake of trying to use proprietory software for everything. Fonts cost $500.... each. A special chip holder and chip was required to save jobs. The machines were far more limited than the competition, and cost more. Not much has changed in the intervening years. They have tried to play "catch up" for years now, but have not done very well. The good reps they had years ago have all died or moved on.

You can still get good quality New Hermes stuff... on ebay. As long as you stick with pantographs!

Mark

Brian Robison
02-14-2008, 2:56 PM
I just got an e mail from them. A generic one for a specific question that didn't get answered. I may never get an answer from them.
Shame to have a good product and bad service / tech support.

Michael Indiano
09-04-2008, 9:15 PM
Dear Brian,

All Gravograph New Hermes lasers work well with Corel Draw. We use a print driver, just like Epilog and Universal, to print from Corel Draw, Photoshop or whatever you choose. Gravograph has also written a program, from the ground up, to optimize your laser capabilities. The Gravostlye software is an option and is not required. If you have any more questions, concerns or problems, email me at mindiano@gravograph-newhermes.com.

Have a great day.

Michael Indiano

Leigh Costello
09-05-2008, 12:32 AM
RUN RUN as fast as you can the other way. We got our rotary engraver thru them and it was a nightmare. Three no five machines later we have one that works, but the software is so proprietary it stinks. We had ordered a re conditioned, didn't work, replaced with re conditioned, didn't work, replaced again without any packing inside carton. Finally said send our money back -- can't be done. They are owned by a French investment firm which is not interested in customer service. Finally, got a brand spanking new machine, which did not work. At long last, a new machine was shipped to rep and tested. It worked. It is my experience that Gravograph has employees who will go above and beyond if possible but their software is not easy to import to or from. And their overall customer satisfaction is sketchy at best.

Franklin Geiser
09-05-2008, 7:53 AM
Maybe things have changed in the last few years?
We've got six Gravograph machines at this location (along with a stack of Epilog and other brands) and they've given me very little trouble.

I don't particularly care for their software, but it does work just fine. It's quite powerful actually, for how simple it looks. I'm used to Corel so I generally use that along with their print driver.

Kevin L. Waldron
09-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Brian,

"Designs by You" in Bell Buckle has a Graveograph(12x18; Also all of P.Graham Dunn's operations are done on the same or larger). His name is Joe I'm sure he will be glad to let you see and even experiment some. I have seen the interface and it looks very early 80's window enviroment we have exchanged some files and there are many that he can't accept because of the size. The software appears to have a size limit. Joe did get a copy of Corel but doesn't use it as a whole he only uses the Gravograph interface.

Kevin

Roy Nicholson
09-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Over here in Australia they are very good.

Direct phone support and cell phone of major Tech Nationwide.

Mind you there aren't so many of us over here.

I don't send direct from Corel but I believe you can burn direct from Corel.

I use their software most of the time or import from Corel.

Best of luck with it.

Regards

Roy N.

Andrej Rojec
09-09-2008, 2:52 AM
Hi,
I have intalled in my firm a Gravograph LS100 with a 35W laser. I print directly from Corel Draw via the original Gravograph driver.
The engraving machine works good but it has a lack of power when cutting on the lower left side. In other words, where the laser beam has a longer way to get to the target you can easily notice less cutting power.
Have a nice day,
Andrej.

Rodne Gold
09-09-2008, 3:37 AM
That should not be the case , the laser needs alignment , speak to your rep or tech guy about this - the machine can be aligned so that it cuts evenly RIGHT ACROSS the bed.

Hermes Sandoval
12-14-2013, 2:11 PM
I have two laser engravers from them for 10 yrs and have had my share of technical difficulties and customer service nightmares. Right now I have one of them giving me trouble, they're both been discontinued for a long time, but they still take my calls and try to help me resolve any issue I have.

I wouldn't buy another one with chinese lasers being so cheap and available, but I wouldn't bash their service either.