PDA

View Full Version : ShopSmith belt sander

Dave Lehnert
02-12-2008, 4:21 PM
I have been looking for an edge sander for some time now. Most run at around 4,000 rpm. Way too fast in my opinion. Grizzly makes a 1700 rpm unit for around $500. I got to see the Shop Fox version at a dealer and I was not too impressed. Good for the price and do the job but????? Most other units are priced around $800 and $1000. Just have a hard time plunking down that kind of cash for home use.
I own a Shopsmith and like it very much. Unless you own one you just don’t understand. The Shopsmith belt sander is able to have the table mounted in the traditional belt sander way and also on the side for a mini edge sander if you will. The variable speed , as low as 500 rpm is very attractive to me.
I would like to hear from a owner of the Shopsmith sander. Likes dislikes etc… Here is an video if that helps what I am talking about.
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Tips_Archives/SST102_Belt_Sander_Fence.htm
I did a post on Shopsmith forum but would like to get an opinion from “out of town folks”

Jim Davenport
02-12-2008, 7:42 PM
I have a shopsmith that I've owned since around 1973. I also have the belt sander. Using the shopsmith as a disc/belt sander is one of its best functions. The sander has given me excellent service for a lot of years.

Dave Verstraete
02-12-2008, 7:44 PM
Dave
I also have a shopsmith. I use it for a drill press, lathe, or horizontal boring, and a band saw. I just purchased a band saw, so the shopsmith band saw will not be used anymore. I never had a belt sander, though. I have a strip sander that is useful , occasionally. I also like the variable speed.

While I don't use the Shopsmith much, it has its place in the shop. Without it, I would never have started woodworking

Dave Lehnert
02-13-2008, 7:58 AM
Thanks for the info.

Rick Potter
02-13-2008, 3:36 PM
I also had a SS which I sold recently. I agree that the belt sander was a good unit. I used it a lot with good results. You might get lucky and find a used one.

Rick Potter

Dave Lehnert
05-24-2008, 9:39 PM
Just an update to my post. I purchased the belt sander from Shopsmith. It is everything I had hoped it would be and more. I know a lot of people don't like the Shopsmith but I tell you till you use a tool like the belt sander ,with variable speed, you can't understand how useful that is. I owned a bench top belt sander some years ago and hated it. The Shopsmith is well built, well designed tool.