PDA

View Full Version : do I need a shoulder plane?

Tyler Davis
02-12-2008, 2:26 PM
I built a tapering jig for my table saw. There is a hardwood (maple) runner mounted into a 1/16"-deep dado in the play wood base. It is glued and nailed in place. It is straight, but interfering with the miter slot part way through the cut. I need to trim a few thou off the width of the runner, while it is in place on the plywood base.

So I guess I need a hand plane where the blade goes all the way to the edge? it sounds like a shoulder plane or rabbet plane would fit the bill?

if so, any suggestions? I can't justify spending $200-250 for the LV / LN versions. I may use it in the future for some tenon trimming, etc. but not nearly enough to justify that cost for a single hand tool....

thanks for any suggestions :)

Chris Padilla
02-12-2008, 2:49 PM
I built a tapering jig for my table saw. There is a hardwood (maple) runner mounted into a 1/16"-deep dado in the play wood base. It is glued and nailed in place. It is straight, but interfering with the miter slot part way through the cut. I need to trim a few thou off the width of the runner, while it is in place on the plywood base.

So I guess I need a hand plane where the blade goes all the way to the edge? it sounds like a shoulder plane or rabbet plane would fit the bill?

if so, any suggestions? I can't justify spending $200-250 for the LV / LN versions. I may use it in the future for some tenon trimming, etc. but not nearly enough to justify that cost for a single hand tool....

thanks for any suggestions :)

How about the Veritas Bullnose Plane (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49709&cat=1,41182,48945)? It is below $200 and a handly little sucker to have around!

Mark Roderick
02-12-2008, 2:56 PM
Sounds to me as if you could get the job done with sandpaper.

Marcus Ward
02-12-2008, 3:08 PM
Use a chisel.

Jim Koepke
02-12-2008, 3:12 PM
I can't justify spending $200-250 for the LV / LN versions. I may use it in the future for some tenon trimming, etc. but not nearly enough to justify that cost for a single hand tool....

Never say this to your wife.

Jim

Jim Koepke
02-12-2008, 3:13 PM
I agree with Marcus.
A plane is just a fancy gizmo for holding a chisel.

Jim

Chris Padilla
02-12-2008, 3:19 PM
I agree with Marcus.
A plane is just a fancy gizmo for holding a chisel.

Jim

LV makes a "chisel holder" plane (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32661&cat=1,41182,41192), too! Under $50. :)

rich murray
02-12-2008, 3:33 PM
A card scraper can remove the tight spot as well as anything. It is an inexpensive and very handy tool for the woodshop. I use one on the runners of a cross-cut sled and a miter sled, and can pinpoint the problem area and leave the rest of the runners tight.

Greg Cole
02-12-2008, 4:18 PM
What Marcus said & use it "backwards" as a scraper if ya don't have a card scraper handy.
Next time maybe use screws to attach the runner just in case....:rolleyes:

Greg

Tyler Davis
02-12-2008, 4:24 PM
thanks for the suggestions- I think a card scraper will be a wiser investment.

Greg - where were you when I was making sure "this sucker ain't going anywhere" :rolleyes:

Greg Cole
02-12-2008, 4:31 PM
Greg - where were you when I was making sure "this sucker ain't going anywhere" :rolleyes:[/quote]

That depends on when you told yourself that, but I'm usually in the KC area..LOL
FWIW, I've opted for metal runners on my sleds etc. They cost a few bucks but are adjustable for slop in slots, wear from use etc etc... and they attach with screws so if you oversize the mounting hole a wee bit you can square the sled fences with blade, the duoble sided tape technique works, but the metal runners are easier IMO.
Do yourself the service of learning how correctly sharpen your scraper and you will find it's some of the best spent $ in your arsenal.;) Amazingly useful little critters....

Cheers.

Greg

Mike Cutler
02-12-2008, 4:57 PM
Do you need a shoulder plane?

For this job. No, a chisel or card scraper will do nicely, but eventually you'll need a shoulder plane.;),;).;)

Jesse Cloud
02-12-2008, 5:02 PM
I use my shoulder plane a lot. Never can get dadoes or rabbets as smooth as I want them. Shoulder plane will guarantee a square angle. I guess I'm just too old to do that reliably and quickly with a chisel.:p