PDA

View Full Version : Gross-Stabil Clamps?

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-12-2008, 1:53 PM
Greetings all. I'm new here. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with Gross-Stabil (K-Body style) clamps? I'm in the market for some Bessey K-Body clamps. I've never owned any but am impressed by the quality. Just a little turned off by the high price. Anyhoo, I got an email from Woodworker's Hardware stating that Bessey recently acquired Gross-Stabil and is liquidating their inventory. Looks like a savings of about 20-25%. They look similar to Bessey and were rated highly by Fine Woodworking's Tool Guide. Your thoughts are appreciated.....also shout out any other recommendations. Thanks in advance!

Lance Norris
02-12-2008, 2:48 PM
Jim... welcome. If you are in the market for parallel clamps... Jet. Amazon has good prices and a good way to build a collection is with the cabinet door clamp set. It looks like Amazon is out of stock, but other venders have them. Amazon is nice because of free shipping over $25. I dont know if that beats 25% off of the GS parallel, but the Jet clamp is nicer. my 2 cents.

Art Mulder
02-12-2008, 4:07 PM
G+S clamps are great. I have several. They do the job.

But as for "recently acquired". That is more like almost 2 years ago now, maybe more, and at least a year since Bessey killed the G+S line.

My local tool store here in London really liked G+S clamps, and so bought as many of them as he could, so I'll be able to buy them for years to come.

...art

ps: but all that said... I would like to get a closer look at the Jet clamps. They seem to have some nice new features.

Steve Sawyer
02-12-2008, 4:14 PM
I'll cast my vote for the Jet's too. I haven't personally used any of the other parallel-jaw clamps, but I've been really happy with my Jets and most everyone I've talked to or who has written any kind of review of them speaks very highly of them.

Jet seems to have some kind of promotion or other on a fairly regular basis. Got my first set from Rockler ($119 for two 48", two 24" and the bench blocks plus a $25 gift card). Kicked myself for not scooping up the same sets offered in the Jet booth at the WW show last year for $99. Bought my second set from Amazon for $129 w/free shipping.

Brent Ring
02-12-2008, 5:10 PM
I have the Jet 50" and have used Jorgies, and Bessey's. I like them all, and like the Jet's the best - Quick release makes easy work....

my .02!

Karl Laustrup
02-12-2008, 5:20 PM
I have G-S clamps and like them. Have never used Bessey's, but I think they are comparable. My understanding was G-S was starting to eat in to Bessey's sales, so Bessey just bought G-S out and discontinued the line.

I managed to pick up some 60" and a couple more 48" ones while we were at Johnson's Workbench last September. Got a real good deal, almost half price.

I don't think you'll be sorry if you purchase any Gross~Stabil Scott Phillips clamps.

Karl

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-12-2008, 5:49 PM
Thanks for all the input! I never even heard of the Jet clamps until now. I like the quick release lever on them I am going to give them a serious look-see. I buy clamps so infrequently, I'n not going to quibble over price. These will be replacing my trusty ole Jorgy pipe clamps purchased some 20 years ago. I'll keep ya toasted.

Will Blick
02-12-2008, 5:57 PM
GS parallel clamps are inferior to the Jets / K's in every regard... in addition, they produce much less pressure than both the Besseys, Jets and Jorgies... by about 40%, quite significant IMO. I would only buy them, if you can find odd ball sizes, like 96", and get them dirt cheap...otherwise, start your collection with the newer, and better Jets or K bodies... which can be joined with the K body extenders to make a more versatile collection. If you get the K Bodies, be sure to get the new design, with the hex handle, much improved over the small wooden handle type....

Eric Gustafson
02-12-2008, 6:17 PM
I got real lucky one weekend and scored 12 - 30" G/S clamps for $75 total. :D They were also labled with the Scott Phillips name. I also have some Jet clamps and am well aware of their beefier size and quality. However, if a 30" clamp will do the job, I find myself reaching for those most often. I think they are easier to slide. I also think they apply sufficient pressure.

Todd Hyman
02-12-2008, 6:19 PM
Jim... welcome. If you are in the market for parallel clamps... Jet. Amazon has good prices and a good way to build a collection is with the cabinet door clamp set. It looks like Amazon is out of stock, but other venders have them. Amazon is nice because of free shipping over $25. I dont know if that beats 25% off of the GS parallel, but the Jet clamp is nicer. my 2 cents.

The local Rockler store here had the Jet clamps on sale for quite a while too.

Steve Rowe
02-12-2008, 7:03 PM
Hi Jim,
I have Gross Stabil (both the metal and composites), Bessey, and Jet parallel jaw clamps. I like the handles on the Gross Stabil better than the Bessey. The Bessey also has some nice features over the GS. For quite a while, I believed the ideal clamp would be some combination of the best features of the two. About a year or so ago, I bought my first Jets and they did that very thing plus some. Honestly, they all work very well. Given that, I would go for the best price and would be willing to spend slightly more for the Jets because they have more features.

BTW - welcome to SMC
Steve

Steve Rozmiarek
02-12-2008, 8:19 PM
Love my Besseys. Amazon usually has decent deals if you buy the kits of four.

Chuck Burns
02-12-2008, 10:36 PM
I'd suggest going with Jets. Call Timberline Tools in Orem Utah. I bought all mine from them and they have had the best price in the nation. To the extent possible I like my clamps to be the same so it is easy to work intuitivly and quickly.

Mike Heidrick
02-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I own Jorgies, Bessies, and Jets. Jets are the best of the three. Jorgies are heavy duty but the lever on the Jet head to keep it in place is the best

D-Alan Grogg
02-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I have a number of the G-S K-body clamps. They are better quality in every regard to the Bessey's that I own (that's saying a lot because the Bessey's are great clamps).

Will Blick
02-13-2008, 12:03 PM
To be more specific....

Using a pressure gage, my GS K bodies tested out at 600 lbs of avg force. K Bodies, slightly over 1,000 lbs of force, and the jets, just under a 1,000 lbs of force avg. You would need to use almost 2x the number of GS clamps to achieve the same force vs. the K Bodies...and this is the old K bodies, not the new K body hex synthetic grips.

In addition to lack of pressure the GS can generate, which is probably why Bessey is closing the GS line out after they acquired GS.... the GS thin wooden handle is very under-sized for a clamp of this size. It's the same handle used on the small F clamps, very hard on the hands when trying to "twist em". Bessey finally corrected this on their new model clamps, however, not sure which retailers have sold out their old inventory and have the new handle clamps in stock. anyone know?