PDA

View Full Version : Email Providers.

Chris Rosenberger
02-12-2008, 1:17 PM
I need a POP3 email provider.
All of the internet providers I have ever used have also provided email accounts. I have just changed to a wireless internet provider that does not provide email accounts. What I need is an email account the is not just web based such as yahoo or google. I need an account that I can download email to my computer with a program such as Microsoft outlook.

Jim Becker
02-12-2008, 1:25 PM
I use the services of Myhosting.com for my domains, including for email. They also offer very low cost email hosting for about five bucks a month. (Although for a little more, you can also have web/BLOG capabity, too, with a Linux account) There are many offers like this available "out there". Additionally, you can use gmail and many other free providers with POP/IMAP clients if you prefer. The disadvantage to these is that it's a little more work to deal with multiple addresses than it is if you have your own domain.

Stephen Beckham
02-12-2008, 1:50 PM
I went with Net Solutions for my web hosting. It's only $10 a month and it comes with 25 email accounts against the same domain. It let's me pop or use webmail... And when I had web on my Blackjack, it let me send straight to the BJ....

Terre Hooks
02-12-2008, 2:47 PM
I went with Net Solutions for my web hosting. It's only $10 a month and it comes with 25 email accounts against the same domain. It let's me pop or use webmail... And when I had web on my Blackjack, it sent me straight to the BJ....

That is pretty awesome.

Scott Kilroy
02-12-2008, 3:51 PM
Gmail lets you use pop and imap. You can also register your own domain name and get 50 accounts for free. I used to run my own email server (I work in IT) but the gmail system has been so reliable that I just moved everything to it.

Chris Rosenberger
02-13-2008, 8:50 AM
Thanks for the help. I am going with gmail for now. I needed to setup an account quick. That will give me time to look into the others.

Joe McCormick
02-13-2008, 9:40 AM
I have an Earthlink POP3 account. I have used it for about ten years. All I use now is the Premium Email Account which cost less than $20.00 a year and gives me 2 email addresses. I can access my email at the Earthlink site or download the mail thru Microsoft outlook. They have a really good Spam filter. I usually go the the Earthlink site first to read my email and delete the less important ones. Then I open up the POP email account to just download the important ones. You can also buy other packages the will give you more features like AntiVirus, Firewall, and Spyware Blocker protection if you need them. You will also get 8 email addresses plus a website for each address. This will cost you about $20.00 per month. I did not need those features since they were provide by my internet provider, so I just use the email accounts. I have tried the free Gmail account because it could be set up as a POP3 account but I did not like it. I am satisfied with the Earthlink account even if it does cost me 20 bucks a year.

Charles Wiggins
02-13-2008, 7:19 PM
I need a POP3 email provider.
All of the internet providers I have ever used have also provided email accounts. I have just changed to a wireless internet provider that does not provide email accounts. What I need is an email account the is not just web based such as yahoo or google. I need an account that I can download email to my computer with a program such as Microsoft outlook.

Chris,

You may want to look into using a combination of a Web-based service like Gmail (http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en/about.html) and a POP desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/)

Gmail provides info about compatible desktop clients (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=12103).

Art Mulder
02-13-2008, 8:55 PM
I use pobox.com for email forwarding. Pretty decent spam filtering, and they do offer POP3 access also.

I have played with gmail, and their spam filtering is the best I've seen. I just am uncomfortable with the question of who owns my mail, not to mention they don't offer a bulk-download option. Oh yeah, and it really bugs me that I can't arrange the mail in folders.

John Hixon
02-13-2008, 9:58 PM
Here is a quote from gmail help

POP, or Post Office Protocol, lets you download messages from Gmail's servers onto your computer so you can access your mail with a program like Microsoft Outlook Express or Netscape Mail, even when you aren't connected to the Internet.
POP access is free for all Gmail users, and we have no plans to charge for it in the future. If you're thinking about using POP, however, we encourage you to consider IMAP (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=75725), which offers all the benefits listed above plus two-way communication between your web Gmail and your email client.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

Matt Meiser
02-13-2008, 10:04 PM
I LOVE GMail. I find myself wishing that my work email was GMail instead of Outlook. With the Gmail notifier, I get near-instant notification of new messages and the ability to have GMail be my default mail client on my home computers. I've been using it for about 3 years now--at first I didn't think I'd like it having used Outlook since the late 90's but now I'll never go back if I don't have to.

Oh yeah, and it really bugs me that I can't arrange the mail in folders.

You can use labels as folders. Everyone works different, but for me that meets the need and most of my mail just gets archived in case I need it later. The search is good enough that most of it doesn't need to be organized.

I have rules that apply an "Ad" label to all the advertising emails I'm signed up for (Menards, Harbor Freight, Duluth Trading, etc...) Later I can delete the old ads from my archive by finding all the messages with that label. I should set one up for PM notifications from the various message boards so I can do the same ther.

Also, the spam filtering is great. Very little real mail gets caught as spam and vice-versa. Plus if mail is ending up in the wrong place, it seems to learn from you. For example I used to see PM notifications go to Spam, but not anymore.

Doug Jones from Oregon
02-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Chris...I'm not a computer pro or very internet savy. That said, what I did when I switched to my cellular internet service and realized that I was tired of telling folks about my email address change (and figured they must be too) was to get my own domain email address. Went to godaddy and for very little $$ I have a dedicated domain name for my email.

I'm not a fan of hotmail or gmail...does not for whatever reason sit well with me when I see these being used...no sense of investment on the users side indicates they may not be there tomorrow....

Joe Pelonio
02-14-2008, 1:09 PM
The main trouble with free e-mail is that it's what almost all of the scammers use. When you send a legitimate business e-mail people may think it's a scam and discard it without opening.

Most scams sent to me have been a yahoo email, the rest have been gmail.