PDA

View Full Version : Garden Shed Sliding Doors

Louis Rucci
02-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Guys,

I need some help.

I want to use sliding doors on my shed but refuse to pay the outrageous prices I'm seeing for hardware.

Here's a link to my project:
http://picasaweb.google.com/AspiringWoodworker/WorkShop

I would like to have double doors in the front sliding to the sides and one sliding to the right on the back door.

Anyone have a source for inexpensive hardware or maybe a DIY set of plans or guides so I could do it cheaper.

Thanks for your assistance

Louis

Homer Faucett
02-12-2008, 2:15 PM
It has been a while since I have priced them out, but Farm and Fleet used to sell the rollers for about $20 each, although I don't know what they were charging for the track (this was back in 2004 or so for the functional, but not pretty, galvanized components--which is what I have). Other farm supply stores would be your best bet, although I don't know how popular those are in your area.

I priced some out on the Internet about a year ago, and could not believe what they were charging. It was worth it to just take down my weathered, paint encrusted 1950's door hangers and rail, strip them down with a braided wire wheel on an angle grinder, and put a good coat of galvanizing paint on it with some wax and powdered graphite in the slots and bearings.

Gary Breckenridge
02-12-2008, 2:24 PM
Get to a TSC store, Tractor Supply Corp, and see what they have that can be adapted to your needs. Be willing to spend a few extra dollars to go with prepainted or stainless. :DFarmers are cheap out of necessity and that's where they shop.

Louis Rucci
02-12-2008, 2:31 PM
Thanks, I have a small one in my area and didn't think of them.

Warren Clemans
02-12-2008, 3:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, why make them slide? It seems like hinges would be cheaper and easier than a sliding mechanism. The opening doesn't look so big that out-swinging carriage doors wouldn't work just fine.

Louis Rucci
02-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Just call it bright idea that I'm probably not going to do.

With the prices of the hardware, I'll just use hinges.