PDA

View Full Version : Re-Sawing

Steven DeMars
02-12-2008, 11:28 AM
:)So far most of my projects have been with standard size lumber and sheet goods.

Getting ready to buy a Grizzly Jointer & a Dewalt 735 Planer. Already have a Delta 5X bandsaw with riser. Also have some good blades sitting in a box waiting for me.

My goal is to make small Gerstner style tool boxes. This involves hardwood in 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2".

My questions are:

What can I expect to be able to re-saw as far as size. Width 2", 4", 6", 8"
Am i better off starting with 4/4 to get 3/8"

Assuming re-sawing goes fairly well. What is the next step. Jointer, then the planer . . . .

Any suggestions would be appreciated . . . .

Anthony Whitesell
02-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Typically to resaw you'll do the following:
1. Joint one edge
2. Joint one side
3. Resaw the board (a little thick for a run through the planer) with the jointed side on the tableand the jointed edge against the fence
4. With the left over piece, repeat steps 2 and 3
5. With the pieces that are cut close to size, run them through the planer to size.

If the bandsaw is running really smooth, you can get a little more daring and resaw them closer to size and run them through a drum sander to size them instead of the planer.

Rod Sheridan
02-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi Steven, since I dislike jointing thin pieces, when I make 3/8" material from 4/4" material I proceed as follows;

1) joint both face and one edge of the 4/4, removing as little stock as possible

2) resaw

3) plane the two pieces

I resaw material to the maximum height of my bandsaw, if required.

Regards, Rod.

Curt Taylor
02-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Hi Steven - Just my 2pennies worth.

1) What can I expect to be able to re-saw as far as size. Width 2", 4", 6", 8"

This is going to depend of what types of hardwoods and the blade your using, motor,etc. The wider the slower forsure. If you can get by resawing narrower width's, you and your saw will probably be better off. I have a 14"Delta and it'll do all the sizes you listed but depending on the wood, the wider ones would be slow feed at best. It's also harder on the equipment.
2) Am i better off starting with 4/4 to get 3/8"
Probably. Depends of how well the resawing operation goes and how true the stock is to begin with. I would have no problem resawing 4/4 and getting two 3/8 finished boards, assuming the 4/4 stock was true to start with.
3) Assuming re-sawing goes fairly well. What is the next step. Jointer, then the planer . . . .
Assuming the stock is jointed and planned before the resaw operation you should be able to go straight to the planner. Although something to consider when resawing is the fact that you may get pieces that will bow comming off the saw due to stresses in the wood. If the stock is to be cut down fairly short this may not be a problem. Otherwise you may have to rework as needed. (IE-Jointer.)
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Eddie Darby
02-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Getting ready to buy a Grizzly Jointer & a Dewalt 735 Planer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated . . . .

Have you seen the Grizzly Jointer/Planer combo? Or the Planer/Jointer combo by Jet?

The price of a separate jointer and the DW735 will be close to the price of the combo, and you get a spiral head for both jobs! In addition you get 12" of jointing capacity!!

http://grizzlyindustrial.com/products/12-Jointer-Planer-w-Spiral-Cutterhead/G0634

Lance Norris
02-12-2008, 12:54 PM
The price of a separate jointer and the DW735 will be close to the price of the combo

I dont think so. Unless you are going to spend $1800 on a jointer.:rolleyes: You can get a helluva lot of jointer for half that price.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0490

Homer Faucett
02-12-2008, 3:17 PM
I dont think so. Unless you are going to spend $1800 on a jointer.:rolleyes: You can get a helluva lot of jointer for half that price.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0490

I think what Eddie was getting at is the fact that by the time you pay $509 (current Amazon price for the DeWalt DW735 lunchbox planer) and buy the 8" Grizzly jointer you link ($939 plus shipping), you're getting close enough to the $1800 price of the jointer/planer combo with a shelix head.

Of course, you could always buy cheaper alternatives, but if you are near the $1800 price when you put both your planer and jointer price together, that 12" jointer and planer with a shelix head looks good.

Chris Padilla
02-12-2008, 3:51 PM
1. Joint one edge
2. Joint one side
3. Resaw the board (a little thick for a run through the planer) with the jointed side on the tableand the jointed edge against the fence
4. With the left over piece, repeat steps 2 and 3
5. With the pieces that are cut close to size, run them through the planer to size.

If the bandsaw is running really smooth, you can get a little more daring and resaw them closer to size and run them through a drum sander to size them instead of the planer.

I dunno but with rough lumber I always:

1. Face joint one side
2. Joint one edge

From here you can deviate depending upon what you are doing but typically:

3. Plane the other side
4. Rip the last rough edge on the TS and you now have S4S.

...a few ways to skin this cat.... :)

Peter Quadarella
02-12-2008, 4:37 PM
If I were in the market for a combo machine, it would be the Jet. It's the same size, costs $1700, and has a quicker changeover (and I like the guard better).

I've decided (I think) to stick with seperate though. Or have I... I keep going back and forth.

Greg Funk
02-12-2008, 5:00 PM
1. Joint one edge
2. Joint one side

Chris was correct above. If you try and joint a board that is twisted you won't get a true edge, hence the need to flatten a face first.

Greg

Homer Faucett
02-12-2008, 10:42 PM
If I were in the market for a combo machine, it would be the Jet. It's the same size, costs $1700, and has a quicker changeover (and I like the guard better).

I've decided (I think) to stick with seperate though. Or have I... I keep going back and forth.

I like the Jet machine and the design, but getting a 12" helical carbide inset cutter head for an extra $100 would seal the deal for me in favor of the Grizzly.

Maybe that's because I've been planing a lot of figured wood on my Jet jointer with straight blades (and been tearing out a fair amount), but I am considering a combo machine with a shelix instead of stepping up two separate machines.