PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft Mobile Base Review

Chris Bruno
02-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Today I went to Woodcraft to pickup the last couple of slides I needed to for my tool cabinet drawers. I wanted to get some hardware to build a mobile base for my new-to-me jointer and they pointed me towards their mobile base kit that is onsale.. I guess it's regularly $60 and now its $50. It was rated for 600 lbs, so I just bought their kit.

I installed it tonight - requires 3/4" plywood cutout to size - and must say that I'm very pleased with it. I think I'm going to go back tomorrow and buy one for my table saw to replace the old HTC version I have that uses the cam levers. The Woodcraft was considerably more stout and easy to use with the heavier machine.

Just thought I'd share!

-Chris

Steve Roxberg
02-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I have several and have been very happy with them. Easy to use.

Rick Gifford
02-12-2008, 12:22 AM
I have one under my jet 18" BS and like it just fine. Got mine free with the saw purchase. I asked for a deal on a mobile base and they offered this one no charge. Fine with me!

Tom Henderson2
03-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Today I went to Woodcraft to pickup the last couple of slides I needed to for my tool cabinet drawers. I wanted to get some hardware to build a mobile base for my new-to-me jointer and they pointed me towards their mobile base kit that is onsale.. I guess it's regularly $60 and now its $50. It was rated for 600 lbs, so I just bought their kit.

I installed it tonight - requires 3/4" plywood cutout to size - and must say that I'm very pleased with it. I think I'm going to go back tomorrow and buy one for my table saw to replace the old HTC version I have that uses the cam levers. The Woodcraft was considerably more stout and easy to use with the heavier machine.

Just thought I'd share!

-Chris

Hi Chris -- and anyone that has used this mobile base.....

I believe that you are referring to this Woodcraft mobile base system:

I was considering this for my Contractor-style saw and had a couple of questions.

First, how far off the ground do the foot-levers raise the platform? I was just wondering if it was enough to "rack" the base as you lift first one corner, then the other.

Second, I have two cast-iron table extensions on my saw, so it might be a bit heavier than many contractor-saw setups. Any thoughts on the weight capacity of this setup? I know that Woodcraft says it is good for 600 lb but often those ratings are pretty liberal.

Last, my saw has a 30" fence so the weight isn't centered on the legs -- it is a bit right-side heavy. Any thoughts about how that might affect the base performace?

The alternative is an HTC-2000 or maybe HTC-3000 so if anybody has thoughts about how these three bases compare to each other, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance to all.

-Tom H.

Rick Gifford
03-30-2008, 12:23 PM
I bought another one of these. It was used and returned. Price - $10. I took it without hesitation. These are good bases for the money!

glenn bradley
03-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi Chris -- and anyone that has used this mobile base.....

I believe that you are referring to this Woodcraft mobile base system:

I was considering this for my Contractor-style saw and had a couple of questions.

First, how far off the ground do the foot-levers raise the platform? I was just wondering if it was enough to "rack" the base as you lift first one corner, then the other.

Second, I have two cast-iron table extensions on my saw, so it might be a bit heavier than many contractor-saw setups. Any thoughts on the weight capacity of this setup? I know that Woodcraft says it is good for 600 lb but often those ratings are pretty liberal.

Last, my saw has a 30" fence so the weight isn't centered on the legs -- it is a bit right-side heavy. Any thoughts about how that might affect the base performace?

The alternative is an HTC-2000 or maybe HTC-3000 so if anybody has thoughts about how these three bases compare to each other, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance to all.

-Tom H.

I have an HTC that raises one side and then the other and yes, it racks. I use it on the DP (for which I built a weighted sub-base) as I found the racking unacceptable for tools that rely on their cabinet for maintaining alignment. I have a Rockler style base with one cam wheel centered. It doesn't rack but is a little goofy to move about. Pick your poison, I guess.