PDA

View Full Version : Jointer and Planer Safety Tips?

Chris Bruno
02-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Today I got a mobile base for the 8" Grizzly jointer and after I got it all together (had the wife help me hoist the planer onto the base - that was interesting!), I fired it up for the first time and ran a section of 2x4 through it. I now understand why everybody says that jointers and planers fill up dust collection bags so quickly! (My garage did have a nice aroma of pine, though)

Anyways, I'm new to the jointer/planer tools and was hoping for some good safety tips that you don't get from the manuals.. e.g. Don't use boards shorter than X inches, avoid knots?, scrape off glue before sending through?

What are some basic dos and don'ts?

Thanks!
-Chris

Matt Day
02-12-2008, 8:09 AM
Don't contact the blade with any body part while it's on! :p Just kidding, I'm sure someone will respond with more specific information.

Scott Loven
02-12-2008, 8:59 AM
From the most recent Popular Woodworking issue: Marc Adams safety rules for using the jointer
http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/content/binary/Adams%20Jointer%20rules.pdf

Scott

Rod Sheridan
02-12-2008, 9:10 AM
Hi Chris, jointer accidents tend to be nasty since it's easy to have the jointer cutterhead catch your finger and drag more into the cutterhead.

Guards, pushblocks, and all the items listed in the link above, as well as keeping the knives sharp.

Planers have two common accidents, kickbacks or slivers from unsound workpieces can be ejected, and there is the risk of clothing becoming caught in the work and/or the feed rollers.

Keep knives sharp, and feed rollers, chip breakers, pressure bars and anti kick back fingers properly adjusted.

Oh yes, and don't forget eye, ear and lung protection.

Regards, Rod.

Bill Huber
02-12-2008, 9:18 AM
There is a write up on not using push blocks here.
http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/CommentView,guid,21d7d1a5-0cc8-491f-a0d6-8b3903ef9479.aspx

But I tried the gloves and just did not feel very good with them. I use push blocks and I do feel safe with them.

I always us the push block for anything I do on the jointer, keep them clean and they don't slip at all.

Peter Quinn
02-12-2008, 9:52 AM
Hey Chris, stay focused! Seriously, at my last job I could spend days in a jointing/planing/dimensioning routine, loved watching the beautiful wood emerge from its rough wooly cacoon. Sort of ZEN moment. Easy to fall asleep or daydream and forget the rules you have learned. DON'T. Never lose sight of the fact that jointer/planer are seriously powerful machines. Lots of good specific ideas in earlier posts and links.

I am a gloves guy, once you learn to work with them push blocks feel akward and crude. I still use pushblocks on shorter work pieces (eg: less than 20") to keep my fingers clear of those whirling knives. On the jointer NEVER EVER NEVER pass your hands over those blades. It takes pratice shifting your weight and focus from the infeed to outfeed tables as you flatten. If at the exact moment your hands are over the knives you snag a knot/hard spot and the jointer chucks the board your body won't react fast enough to save your fingers. Stay away from processing shorts (below 12").

Both machines require light passes. Seems obvious right? My 8" Delta jointer can be set to take off over 1/4" per pass, worked on a 12" Powermatic that could drop the infeed table 1/2", but that is unsafe and unwise in most circumstances. I rarely take more than 1/32" on the jointer, 1/16" on the planer.

The best place to to be standing in the event of a kickback is out of the way. Kickback on a well adjusted planer is rare but violent. Always feed standing off to one side and never step in front of the infeed with wood in the machine. Do not machine wood with deep cracks or checks, cut these out. My milling routine always starts with careful observation of the lumber and elimination of gross defects. Its not cute when a broken piece of wood is tossing around inside your planer like a pinball! It might hit your face, or worse damage your beautiful equipment! LOL

Chris Bruno
02-12-2008, 10:39 AM
I've seen a few things that suggest not running your hand over the blades on the jointer.. I understand the risk of this if you have a board that has loose knots or what not, but it seems to me that things could go a little hairy if I had to take a hand off the workpiece and reposition it mid-cut.

From what I recall, that's not what I've seen David Marks and Norm do. How do you guys move your hands around and still maintain good control of the workpiece?

-Chris

Rod Sheridan
02-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi, once there's enough of the workpiece on the outfeed table, I have both hands on the workpiece over the outfeed table, pushing with a hand over hand motion.

Just think of it as the equivalent of using a feeder on the jointer, it's over the outfeed table, since that's the portion you keep in contact with the table.

Also, if I slip forward, I'm already past the cutterhead, so I won't drop my hand in the cutter.....Rod.

glenn bradley
02-12-2008, 10:58 AM
but it seems to me that things could go a little hairy if I had to take a hand off the workpiece and reposition it mid-cut.

This is almost a requirement with a board of a good length. I joint very few boards that are short enough to pass completely through the cut without moving my hands/push blocks.

BTW, Gloves are right up there with neckties as far as being safe around machines IMHO. But you guys who are comfortable with them; rock on. When I worked on heavy equipment it didn't matter how cold it was; if you were near moving parts, the gloves came off.

Chris Bruno
02-12-2008, 11:15 AM
What about things to avoid on the workpiece side so that I don't damage the knives? I've heard teak is bad, as is gritty/barky lumber, but what about stuff like glue squeeze out?

Other things to know about?

-Chris

Joe Chritz
02-12-2008, 1:56 PM
Two boards at once on a planer is a very large problem if they are not exactly the right thickness.

I haven't had it happen but know someone who had a fairly pointy tapered piece going through kick back, fly 20 feet or so and stick into an OSB wall.

Stay to the sides of the planer and as long as you don't stick anything inside it is pretty easy to stay safe.

The jointer is a hazard and you must be cautious constantly of where your hands are in relation to the head. Very short and very long boards where you must be extra careful.

Joe