PDA

View Full Version : Storing Tools...?

Jamie Baalmann
02-11-2008, 11:10 PM
I will be putting all my tools in storage as I am taking a Job in Orlando and won't need them. It might be as long as two years. What do I need to put on the tops to protect the cast iron for that period of time? Do I need to get some cosmoline (sp?) or should I wax them really well and put another coat on whenever I come back for holidays?

Chris Bruno
02-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi Jamie,

I use a corrosion inhibitor aerosol from LPS on all my machines. Last March, we moved out of our house and I had to put my machinery into storage - including the lathe, tablesaw and bridgeport. I coated them all heavily with this stuff and the only real rust I had when we moved in in the fall was where the Bridgeport had gotten wet from rain during the initial move.

Here's the stuff:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/273117/Lps_00316_Rust_Inhibitor

Hope this helps,
-Chris

Chris Bruno
02-11-2008, 11:35 PM
For what its worth, I've also used the Marine product from CRC on the boat outdrive.. when I did a search for that, I found this link on rust protection testing that I thought was interesting:

http://www.myboatstore.com/corrosion_inhibitor.asp

I'm not sure why they tested rust removers, as those are usually acids, but the results from Boeshield and the CRC product look good.

-Chris

Henk Marais
02-12-2008, 9:04 AM
You can always ship them off to me and I will take good care of them.:D

Eddie Darby
02-12-2008, 1:13 PM
If you have T-9 from Boeshield, then you can put on a generous coat, and then just leave it without wiping.

For small tools. I see that Lee Valley have these bags.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=58755&cat=51&ap=2

Eric Haycraft
02-12-2008, 4:30 PM
I'll second the t-9. I would also put VCI paper (google it) over the CI surfaces and loosely cover with plastic in the unlikely event that water drops on the machines. I would coat all non-coated drill bits with t-9 and wrap other rust prone tools with VCI paper and/or spray with t-9. Remember to hit the innards of your machines with a grease or t-9 to prevent gears/etc from rusting too.
If you do t-9 or VCI you shouldn't need to touch the machines again until you are ready to use them.

Alan Lilly
02-12-2008, 5:25 PM
one word ... boeshield

Dick Sylvan
02-12-2008, 5:39 PM
How could you go for 2 years without tools??

Eric Gustafson
02-12-2008, 6:21 PM
My vote goes to the T-9. I had my TS on the back porch all summer during our monsoon. The T-9 kept it free of rust despite the high humidity. Plus, I was using it all this time. The coating really lasts.

Matt Meiser
02-12-2008, 6:31 PM
I had T-9 on my tools while they were in storage for about 3 months and found it worked well. I sprayed it on and left it rather than wiping the excess off. When I got them out I thought it hadn't worked as they looked brown in spots. But the brown wiped off with the Boeshield.

Peter Quinn
02-12-2008, 6:49 PM
You should store the bridgeport in my shop...I will guarantee it won't rust, and as an added incentive I personally guarantee it won't collect any dust either!

Bob Genovesi
02-12-2008, 7:04 PM
Boeshield T-9® Was developed by The Boeing Company for lubrication and protection of aircraft components. It is a combination of solvents, lubricants, and waxes designed for penetration, moisture displacement, lubrication and protection. Boeshield T-9® dries to a thin waxy film that clings to metal for long term storage.

Jamie Baalmann
02-12-2008, 7:36 PM
Looks like I will be getting some T-9. As far as how I will go w/out for that long I don't really know. I think I will spend some much needed time working on small projects with hand tools. Perfect the dovetail and learn handplaning... Thx for all the input

Dan Barr
02-12-2008, 9:23 PM
Ha! :D Shellac.

spray on is convenient for building up thick coats and getting in spots that are a pain. seals out everything except alcohol.

and,.......... Drum roll

cleans up years later with alcohol.

i dont think you can beat that!]

:D

dan