PDA

View Full Version : First pen

David Gunn
02-11-2008, 11:02 PM
I turned my first pen this weekend at the woodworking show in St. Louis. It was fun. My wife even seemed a little interested in it. I had help, they had the blank drilled and already had the brass tubes in it. I pretty much did all the rest myself, with one of the instructors guidance. He was very patient with me. It's nothing like what a lot of you make, but hopefully I will get better. I know one thing, there will be lots and lots of turning to follow.:D Vortex, here I come.

Sorry for the links guys, I couldn't get my pics to load.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/dlgdoo/pen001.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/dlgdoo/pen002.jpg

Greg Cuetara
02-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Looks good so far. I turned my first pen this past weekend also. Just put an order in for a bunch of pen kits so next weekend should be fun. Good luck to you.
Greg

robert hainstock
02-12-2008, 8:12 AM
welcome to the vortex. have fun, enjoy! :D:D
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
02-12-2008, 9:00 AM
Nice work David! That pen puts you one ahead of me! I could try to warn you about the vortex - tools, lathes, money, time - but some things you just have to experience for yourself!! Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Tom Sherman
02-12-2008, 9:18 AM
Way to go David nice looking pen. Welcome to the spinny world.

Bernie Weishapl
02-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Great looking pen. Look forward to seeing many more.

Clem Wixted
02-12-2008, 4:44 PM
David,

Now you've gone and done it!

You will now have to get another lathe, a sharpening system, mandrels, pen kits, finishing material, sandpaper, pen blanks, drill press, pen press, drill bits, dust collection, etc, etc, etc !!! :-)

Clem

Ben Gastfriend
02-12-2008, 5:57 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of turning. My first project was a pen, and yours looks much better than mine. Have fun in the abyss!

ross russo
02-12-2008, 9:59 PM
Great looking Pen.... Now kiss the wife and kids good bye and give them a map and key to the shop because you may never come out again... MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

My wife gave up and comes out to the shop to see me....:D:D

Don Orr
02-13-2008, 2:11 PM
That'll do nicely David. Stop now before it's too late:eek:;):D. Back away from the lathe toward the tablesaw.

FYI-if your wife gets involved, make sure you have 2 lathes !;)