PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever use Chair Doctor glue?

dale rex
02-11-2008, 9:18 PM
I have a couple rocking chairs that I need to repair. They both have loose rungs and legs. I saw Chair Doctor advertised on Woodcraft and wondered if anyone has any experience with it? Does it really work like the ad says?

Peter Quinn
02-11-2008, 9:28 PM
I have it and have used it for a few repairs. It is highly viscous (thin), the needles make it possible to get into small cracks. As for strength my results have been mixed. Some things glued have held, others held for a while, some things not at all. Joints I've tried with significant wear like loose round tennons on old chairs have had marginal results. Doesn't fill gaps. Thin epoxy has given better performance in these cases.

Dan Barr
02-11-2008, 11:19 PM
if you can dissassemble the joint, use normal epoxy. if not, use the chair glue.

gap filling is usually a must for chair repair.

cheers,

dan

Art Mulder
02-12-2008, 8:11 AM
Yes I have - testimony here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67656&highlight=doctor).

Four months later of daily use -- this is our main table, three meals a day plus other use -- and these chairs are still rock solid.

The only thing I'd say would be to be generous. Position the chair so that the loose tenon is vertical, so that gravity helps bring the glue down into the joint. Soak the glue into the joint, and then add still more.

best,
...art

Tim Sgrazzutti
02-12-2008, 8:25 AM
Ditto what Art said. Used it years ago on the dining table chairs, and they've been tight ever since. One of those gee-whiz things that was such an easy fix to an annoying problem. Sitting on chairs that rack and squeak at every meal is enough to drive a man crazy!