PDA

View Full Version : zero clearance router top

Derek Larson
02-11-2008, 7:33 PM
Good evening all, I hope your weekends were enjoyable. I currently have a rebel router table not to thrilled with the plastic inserts they get in the way and I was curious if anyone has made a zero clearance top, I just want it to sit on top of the current table. From what I have read the fence is basically what holds it down, but what I was wondering is what material you folks found to make a good top and what thickness. I am guessing a thin plywood the thinner the better, is this correct? And have you run into any problems with this method?

Thank you

keith ouellette
02-11-2008, 7:49 PM
What if you are not using a fence?

Derek Larson
02-11-2008, 7:53 PM
Then i imagine you would just use clamps.

Dave Falkenstein
02-11-2008, 9:33 PM
I have never heard of a zero clearance router table top. Seems to me you would need a different top for every bit. Am I missing something?

A couple of times when I needed a temporary top for my router table I used 1/4" MDF - cheap, smooth and flat. I suppose 1/8" hardboard would work well also.

Derek Larson
02-12-2008, 7:51 AM
Dave, you are correct for it to be a zero clearance top it would need to be a different hole for each bit. My title was a little misleading yes for some bits I will want a zero clearance top, but for the most part i want a top with two hole sizes one that would be comparable to each of the plastic rings I currently have in my rebel router table, and for that you would just need two boards (possible one if the hole is off center).
And I agree with you I will use a 1/8" hard board

Thank you