PDA

View Full Version : Plunge or fixed Router

Marc Prudhomme
02-11-2008, 7:01 PM
I am in the market for a new router.I have had a skil 1 1/2 HP cheap plunge router for 5 years now.Its time to upgrade when my new router table arives.Should I go for a plunge style or fixed base for the table?I used my plunge router for my homemade table and it seemed fine.What is better to use on a router table A fixed or Plunge?
Marc

Mike Spanbauer
02-11-2008, 7:04 PM
Dewalt 618 Kit (3 base) or the 621 plunger are my votes.

Enough power to get any handheld operation done yet manageable enough from a weight perspective to not be a burden.

Depends on your budget too though, those are great mid-range routers. You can go super high end Festool if you have the coin and many find them to be superb but I've not sprung for the routers yet.

mike

John Hain
02-11-2008, 7:09 PM
I highly recommend the 2 1/4 Hitachi plunge if you're thinking you'll go with one router. I have a man-crush on Hitachi routers. They are relatively cheap and I can't kill them.

Norm Roberts
02-11-2008, 7:10 PM
Consider spending a couple of extra bucks and buy one of the kits that has both bases with one motor. There are several quality ones on the market.

Brian Dormer
02-12-2008, 4:28 PM
Another vote for a Dewalt 618 Kit. I love mine. The motor even fits my Jessem router lift!

pat warner
02-12-2008, 6:12 PM
For a contrarian's take (http://patwarner.com/plunge_or_fixed.html) on the upside down use of a plunge router.

Peter Quinn
02-12-2008, 7:06 PM
Ditto Pat....I have the bosch 1617evs 2 1/4hp kit with a plunge base, fixed base, and an extra base without handles sold seperately that bolts to the table and offers above table adjustment I have never bothered to use.

Several companies offer similar setups (makita, PC, and milwakee to name 3). Nice setup; one motor, 3 bases, covers a lot of ground for the price. I would go check out several in person, because anything you hold in your hands has to fit you like a glove.

Laurie Brown
02-12-2008, 8:16 PM
I have the Bosch as well and I love it.

And one router is never enough. :) I plan to buy at least one or two more so I can dedicate one to the table.

Greg Hines, MD
02-12-2008, 9:07 PM
I am quite pleased with my Porter Cable 890, and have the fixed base attached permanently to the router table insert, as it allows for good dust collection from around the bit, and still have the plunge base for handheld uses of any type.

Doc

Hank Knight
02-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Marc,

I've had an old Bosch 3 1/4hp plunge router in my router table for years. It's been a great router, but it was not designed for table use. I have to fight the spring to adjust the depth of cut. It is awkward at best, and I've cussed it more than once. Many of newer routers are designed with table use in mind and have various features that make table applications user friendly. The Bosch 1619 EVS, for example, is a 3 1/4hp router that has a mechanism for disengaging the plunge return spring for easy depth adjustment when the router is mounted in a table. If I were going to replace my table router, I would look at the Bosch 1619 or the big Triton router, but there are others that would work as well. I would also be interested in one that allowed for above-the-table bit changes. That would make life so much easier! Just be sure whatever you use has these table-use features designed in.

My $.02

Hank

Jason Scott
02-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Dewalt 618PK, best out there for the price IMO

Brent Harding
02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I've tried both setups and for the router table def go with a fixed base. The plunge isn't really ideal for the table. The best setup would be multiple bases with a removable motor or.

I have the Freud FT2200E 3-1/4 HP Variable Speed Fixed Router, was on sale for $119. Its a great router. I also have the Craftsman 2hp Fixed with variable speed, its on sale now for $80. I use this one most because I leave the freud in my table.

My first was a plunge Black & Decker is was nice to start with but just is not the quality of my others.

Art Mann
02-13-2008, 12:30 PM
My advice would be to buy a router that is designed for table use. I have a Freud FT1700 that allows you to do easy bit changes and height adjustments from above the table. No bending over. No taking the base out. No reaching under to lock the body in the base. No struggle with a spindle lock (it is automatic with the spindle fully raised). It is a fixed base router, but a plunge base is available for hand use. There are other good routers that also have these features. They are worth looking for!

Danny Thompson
02-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Try the Hitachi (or various other mfrs') combo kit, which has a fixed and a plunge base.

Bob Wingard
02-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Kinda depends more on what you will use it for. I have an old Bosch 1615EVS (plunge) that is mounted in the table. Taking an idea from John Nixon (www.eaglelakewoodworking.com), I installed a type of lifting mechanism that I already had (Jacuator) and turn it with an electric drill. As the drill runs, the bit rises, allowing me to make very precise mortises. The effect is very similar to a Multi_Router at a fraction of the cost. Using a fixed base, I never could have adapted the router to perform in this manner.

One other point .. .. fixed-base routers seldom rotate inside their housings in a manner that is perfectly concentric with their collet. If you need to make a cut in several passes, each depth setting can give slightly offset results, whereas the plunge rises/falls in a nearly perfectly straight line. As you adjust up/down, the bit stays stationary with respect to the fence.

Just something to consider .. .. ..

John Thompson
02-13-2008, 2:16 PM
Give the Milwaukee 2 1/4 HP combo kit a look. It has the fixed base Body Grip and an excellent plunge. Excellent enough that I sold my DW 621 and Bosch combo kit when I used it. I do use the Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP in my table, but the fixed base could go there and the plunge could be used free-hand when needed. In my shop.. that's quite a bit.

Sarge..

Scott Vigder
02-13-2008, 2:40 PM
I use a Hitachi M12V fixed-base and keep it permanently in the router table. I sprung an extra $20 for the under-table adjusting wrench to make it easier to adjust the height: it is essentially a long stick you use for height adjustments while still eyeballing your setup. I find it works great, and I just got a Oneway guage to really zero-in on my depth.

I also have the PC 890 with fixed and plunge bases. I find myself using each base about 50/50, so if I only had one base to chose it would have to be the plunge as it can act as a fixed but not vice-versa.

Last year I bought the Bosch Colt with all the attachments and it is a wonderful tool. It does a lot of the work the big boys can do, and if the project calls for using a 1/4" shank bit I reach for the Bosch first.

I primarily build desks, tables, chairs, & bookshelves.

As always, keep watching Amazon.com for deals. I bought the Hitachi for $115 during one of their "wow why is this so cheap" sales and that included shipping!