PDA

View Full Version : ID old two piece wood chisels

Maurice Tarr
02-11-2008, 6:08 PM
Where do I find out about old top of the line two piece wood chisels that have a removable handle and marked 3 1/2 for a 1 1/4 inch spoon blade width. Thanks, Mo

Chris Padilla
02-11-2008, 6:17 PM
Hi Maurice and welcome to Saw Mill Creek! I moved your post over to the hand tool forum where I think it'll get better views by more knowledgeable folks. Please stop by often!

Cheers

Steve Rozmiarek
02-11-2008, 9:50 PM
What info are you looking for Mo? Do you have a photo?

Maurice Tarr
02-12-2008, 9:11 AM
Steve, thanks for the reply. I wanted to find out who manufactured them. Check out eBay auction # 360022803474 These are super fine chisels, one handle fits all. Cheers, Mo

Steve Rozmiarek
02-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Those are neat, but I'm afraid I don't have a clue as to the maker. I've seen cheapie sets like that, but those do look like higher quality tools. Maybe one of the other guys knows?

Marcus Ward
02-13-2008, 7:01 AM
They look home made to me. I think the seller put that big list of makers in there to attract buyers using the search feature. If they were made by a reputable maker the maker's stamp or mark would still show given the condition they're in. The auction reads like a snake oil pitch, too. You can't tell the grade of steel by how it rings, how could he possibly know they're surgical steel if he has no idea who made them, etc etc. What if the blades don't fit on the handles tightly? Step right up suckers!

Maurice Tarr
02-13-2008, 9:57 AM
Steve and Marcus, I think you both got that right, what bothers me is that one is marked 3 1/2 and has 1 1/4 inch spoon blade width in one set and in the other set is marked 2 1/4 with a 1 3/16 inch spoon blade width. I think that it has to do with the curvature of the spoon and I am not sure that anyone who had hand made them would mark the sets this way. Got to be a prominent maker I think. They are marked by the kind of, or width of valley you are working on and not by blade width. Somebody has to know. I think they are too well made to be junk. What say you. Cheers, Mo

Marcus Ward
02-13-2008, 10:08 AM
I'd like to qualify that home made does not = junk. It could have been a pattern maker who made them, they certainly would have the skills and would require those sorts of tools.

Maurice Tarr
02-15-2008, 8:53 AM
Sorry, just learned that you can't post links, won't happen again. Mo

Maurice Tarr
02-15-2008, 8:59 AM
Hi again, by the way, my wife owns the 3 sets of Chisels and I now call her Snake Oil, she thinks it is hilarious, so life goes, Mo

Marcus Ward
02-15-2008, 9:39 AM
I didn't see a link, I saw an auction number, if I'm not mistaken that's okay according to the admins. If you didn't hear it from an admin don't sweat it. People around here think you can't even say ebay. EBAY EBAY EBAY!!!!!!

Maurice Tarr
02-15-2008, 8:31 PM
Marcus, thanks for the kind words of support, I try not to sweat the small stuff. These chisels have got me going as I would like to find out about them before my wife sell them out from under me which I do not think will happen as she has them over priced. I am going to keep looking. Thanks again, Mo