PDA

View Full Version : Well I hope no one is holding their breath

Everette Harmon
02-11-2008, 5:17 PM
I ordered one of the new PC Dovetail jigs at the Atlanta WW show. The promise was that they would ship the next week. Well that came and went and I started doing some checking, trying to be patient, and I got a email from Dewalt today saying they are not shipping until May.
So they took the money, lied, I mean I asked about delivery, and seems from the attitude of the email, just don't care. I would say they are a company with out integrity. I hate to say things like this and start a negative post, but how may others are sitting there with money on the line and having been lied to also?
Everette

Greg Funk
02-11-2008, 5:23 PM
I have given a deposit and waited 6 months for a car once. So if you really want to be one of the first ones to own that tool then you may have to pre-pay. If you can wait I'd ask for my money back and buy it once it becomes available.

Greg

Everette Harmon
02-11-2008, 5:26 PM
Point taken. Bet when you put your money down on the car, you knew it would be six months?
Everette

glenn bradley
02-11-2008, 5:31 PM
Everette makes a good point. The company's duly appointed representative provided misleading information in an effort to win a bet as to who would make the most sales by the end of the show day or whatever the driving force was behind the misinformation.

You can speak loudest by talking with your buying power BUT, you must let the manufacturer know WHY you are cancelling your order and buying a Leigh (or whatever) or it is in vain. Good luck, carry on and fight the good fight. I have not cut off my nose to spite my face but I have given it a good skinning if I felt my message reached the right person.

Greg Funk
02-11-2008, 5:34 PM
It was an approx time that turned out to be 6 months.

I don't think Dewalt lacks integrity. They were likely just hit with production delays that have affected many others. You can be certain that they would have preferred to ship on time as their revenues are being impacted by the delay.

Is this the dovetail jig with adjustable pins/tails similar to Leigh? If so, maybe they are in a patent fight and having to modify their design to avoid issues with Leigh?

Greg

Greg Funk
02-11-2008, 5:38 PM
Everette makes a good point. The company's duly appointed representative provided misleading information in an effort to win a bet as to who would make the most sales by the end of the show day or whatever the driving force was behind the misinformation.

Assuming the salesperson worked for Dewalt, and not a reseller, it is extremely unlikely that they were aware of shipment delays at the time they made the sales. Established companies can't stay in business operating like that.

Everette Harmon
02-11-2008, 5:44 PM
Actually Greg, we even discussed this at the show. There has been a lot of discussion about it not being ready, not shipping, I even discussed patent problems and I was told it was all bunk, that they were in the warehouse ready to ship the next week. Even my local dealer was told the same thing. What I call a lack of integrity is sending your representitives to a show and providing them with false information. I really believed the several people from PC that I discussed this jig with believed that it would ship. I admit I a little POed, but I think I have a right.

Everette

Jason Beam
02-11-2008, 5:49 PM
Regardless ... if you charge me then tell me it's backordered, i get my money back immediately. Charging up front is bad mojo if you stall delivery. The only acceptable reason you have my money and I don't have my product is that shipping it to me took some time. They haven't shipped his product, they're not entitled to his money. Early adopter or not, IMHO :)

Greg Funk
02-11-2008, 5:49 PM
Well, since they are in my backyard, maybe you should have a look at Leigh:). They had some issues recently with their new dovetail jigs and the availability date kept slipping. They, however, refused to take any orders and kept the web site (and forums) up to date with their progress.

Greg

Greg Funk
02-11-2008, 5:53 PM
Regardless ... if you charge me then tell me it's backordered, i get my money back immediately. Charging up front is bad mojo if you stall delivery. The only acceptable reason you have my money and I don't have my product is that shipping it to me took some time. They haven't shipped his product, they're not entitled to his money. Early adopter or not, IMHO :)
I agree but they have no way of holding on to Everette's money if he wants it back. They may cancel his order but they can't keep his money.

Jason Beam
02-11-2008, 5:55 PM
Agreed. Having not refunded my money when they decided I wasn't getting one yet really sours the deal for me. I agree with Greg, I'd request a refund and take my business elsewhere.

glenn bradley
02-11-2008, 5:55 PM
Assuming the salesperson worked for Dewalt, and not a reseller, it is extremely unlikely that they were aware of shipment delays at the time they made the sales. Established companies can't stay in business operating like that.

Excellent point Greg. That's what I get for 'going off' without all the facts.

Everette Harmon
02-11-2008, 5:58 PM

For me, it is not the late shippment. I can get my money back any time. For me it is the lack of integrity by Dewalt. I have a shop full of yellow tools. It reminds me of going to a carnival and the hawker trying to show you the two headed man behind the curtian, give me your quarter up front. At least at the carnival you know your being taken.

Why would Dewalt put it self in this position?

Everette Harmon
02-11-2008, 6:05 PM

They all had Dewalt shirts and said they were reps from Dewalt. Even had a guy who put on a display of the jig and he stated he was not from Dewalt, but was paid to put on the display.
The local people who were there and who actually took the money are just as upset as I am and I can get my money back. That is not even the point. I guess now that PC and Dewalt are one, they just think they treat the customer any way they want.

Ron Williams
02-11-2008, 6:07 PM
Kingsplor has them in stock

Greg Funk
02-11-2008, 6:09 PM
Everette,

If you want some action look up an Exec VP of Marketing for Dewalt and mail him a handwritten letter (no more than one page) concisely outlining your concerns. Don't make any accusations, just state the facts including your existing shop full of yellow tools.

Greg

Everette Harmon
02-11-2008, 6:21 PM
Kingsplor has them in stock

you are absolutey right. I just talked to them and they said that they do have them in stock ready to ship. I guess the customer service people or end user services person does not know what they are talking about.
Because this is their reply to me:

Dear Everette,

Thank you for choosing Porter-Cable! I regret that this tool will not begin shipping until the first week of May.

Regards,
Stacie
End User Services

When I called my local dealer he told me that he had been told the 15th of March.

Rick Gifford
02-11-2008, 6:49 PM
The bottom line is Everette doesn't appreciate being misleaded. I agree wholeheartedly. You even asked up front and was basically lied to your face. At least it seems so, or feels so.

Now it just depends how bad you want to wait. Personally I'd ask for my money back with explanation and buy the jig from another direction when possible.

Sorry you had to get slapped like this. No one likes it when it happens to them. I sort of go to the extreme at times. I am a very loyal customer on one hand and ardently refuse to buy from those that I feel do me wrong on the other.

Best of luck to you.

Jon Bonham
02-11-2008, 6:53 PM
A dovetail jig is not a Ferrari. You shouldn't have to prepay to wait in line. It's not like they're going to make 11 of them.

David Gunn
02-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I assume you are talking about the one with the indexing (adjustable) fingers. I saw this jig at the woodworking show in St. Louis this weekend. The man who did the demo was very good. He said that these are ready to ship now. He said if I buy one, I would have it in 5-7 days. He said he would even wave the shipping if I bought it then. It could be that he was not aware of any shipping issues.
If they would have had a 12" or maybe even a 16" for a little less with the indexing fingers, I would have bought it. I don't need the 24" version though.

Everette Harmon
02-13-2008, 5:05 AM
I received a call from my local dealer yesterday and was told that they would ship to him next week. So, we will see. Should have it by the first of March.

Danny Thompson
02-13-2008, 9:33 AM
If you don't cancel the order, you are reinforcing their bad behavior or, for those of you who assume it was a mistake, their poor performance.

Either way, you should cancel the order and state clearly why you are doing so.

Alan Trout
02-13-2008, 10:25 AM
My local woodcraft had them 2 weeks ago. Pretty neat jig IMHO.

Good Luck

Alan

Eric Haycraft
02-13-2008, 6:34 PM
Well, I have a package from PC waiting at UPS right now. Since this jig is the only PC thing that I have ordered, I am taking a wild guess that my new omnijig is here and that I just have to pick it up :)

I'll keep you posted and perhaps snap some photos when I get it setup.

Eric

Eric Haycraft
02-13-2008, 9:56 PM
Its here. All I can say is wow. The box weighed 76 pounds and almost none of that weight was from the packaging. Every surface is nicely machined and I am amazed at the fit and finish of this thing. Still putting it together, but I am almost speechless. The only two negatives that I see so far are no dust collection (which I knew when I bought it) and it only comes with 2 router bits.