PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base reccommendation

Edward Garrett
02-11-2008, 2:35 PM
I am planning to buy the Accura 25" drum sander and I need to make it mobile. The machine weighs ~500lbs, and the base dimensions are 45"x28". I have looked at HTC 3000 mobile base, but it does not look like it will expand wide enough to fit, and I am not crazy about the Shop Fox versions I have now.

I was thinking about the Delta version (50-345) where I could provide the rails but the product description says it would only be rated up to 300lbs....could I use Ipe rails to increase the limit?

Anybody else have any reccommendations?

Dave Novak
02-11-2008, 3:40 PM
I wouldn't even mess with the Delta base. I have them on several of my machines and I don't think they handle the weight their rated at very well, pressing it up will just make matters worse. The best base in my shop holds my Minimax fs30 J/P combo (about 650 lbs). It's a custom HD base that i believe was rated at 1000 lbs. Kind of pricey, but that extra $100 means I don't have to fight and cuss a base that gets tripped up/ stuck on a sliver of wood the rest of my life. Some things are just worth splurging on.

Mike McCann
02-11-2008, 4:11 PM
This base works great. Just need to add plywood. I have it under my steel city table saw. It is able to handle 600lbs.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5114

JayStPeter
02-11-2008, 4:18 PM
For a machine that large I'd go with a welded steel base or make one yourself. All the erector set expandable bases are too light duty IMO. As far as expandable bases go, the most stable is probably the heaviest duty Shop Fox that you've already rejected. Some people used to use the Delta/Rockler "add your own wood" ones but replace the wood with steel. IMO, the wheel sets on them are too wimpy for much over a 6" jointer.
Both HTC and Delta make fine welded steel bases for a variety of machines. It takes some looking, but see if they make one for another machine that would fit yours. Otherwise, HTC will custom make one for you but it is pricey.
The option of making your own is fairly straight forward. One of the things all the mobile base mfrs. worry about is raising the machine height too much. On a drum sander raising the working height an inch or two isn't a big deal to me. You can make a pretty beefy structure from 2x stock with nice casters or find someone who can weld you some steel tubing.

keith ouellette
02-11-2008, 4:27 PM
You would be very surprised how well a mobile base made of wood and plywood will work. I have seen very heavy things made of 2x6 's laid flat and joined together for the frame and a piece of plywood on top with casters on the bottom.

Julian Wong
02-11-2008, 4:28 PM
This base works great. Just need to add plywood. I have it under my steel city table saw. It is able to handle 600lbs.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5114

Ok, call me stupid but just as an aside, the item description states a max size of 37"x37".

If I were to cut the base ply larger say.... 50"x50" it'll still work right, assuming I don't exceed the rated 600lb?

Just thougght that it would be a little odd to list it at an odd 37". :rolleyes:

Greg Heppeard
02-11-2008, 4:54 PM
I like the Jet universals....I have them on several machines

Daniel Shnitka
02-11-2008, 5:16 PM
Make your own base. I am always amazed at how much available material, hot rolled steel, stainless and aluminum product my friends have in the category of "saving it for some future project". It is almost a relief and a release for them when I say I'm looking for such and such to make such and such.
You dropped the bucks on the machine, now make a base that you would be proud to show to the others on this forum.
Everytime you look at it you will think, "great mobile base, works great".
Sometimes out of necessity you will make something that will be "good enough for the time being".
Good luck with what ever direction you choose to go.

Norm Roberts
02-11-2008, 7:08 PM
Ask arround see if you can locate a friend with a welder. I make all of my own bases with a mig welder. I get exactly what I want as sturdy as I choose to make it. I have even modified modified a Dela base in the past to better meet my needs.

For what you might spend on a couple of bases you might consider purchasing a small mig welder, they are a snap to learn to use. You would also be suprised how many odd jobs arround the house benefit from a small welder.

Derek Hansen
02-11-2008, 7:22 PM
I need to build a base for my new Steel City Cabinet saw. Will something like my picture below made out of 2x4s be strong enough to hold up to a 600 lb working load? I'm guessing it will. Would 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood glued together work just as well?

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8741/basetn5.th.jpg (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=basetn5.jpg)

Randy Klein
02-11-2008, 7:36 PM
You would be very surprised how well a mobile base made of wood and plywood will work. I have seen very heavy things made of 2x6 's laid flat and joined together for the frame and a piece of plywood on top with casters on the bottom.

Here's one (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75523) I made for the drill press.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=80622&d=1201993322

keith ouellette
02-11-2008, 7:48 PM
I need to build a base for my new Steel City Cabinet saw. Will something like my picture below made out of 2x4s be strong enough to hold up to a 600 lb working load? I'm guessing it will. Would 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood glued together work just as well?

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8741/basetn5.th.jpg (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=basetn5.jpg)

The plywood alone will sag. I made a mobile base for my cabinet saw out of 2x6's laid flat and put together with mortises and then screwed 5/8 plywood on top of that. This way it won't be to high. You could probably put it together with pocket screws and glue instead of mortises.
I drilled holes at the corners and held a nut in place at the top and bottom with epoxy to make leveling legs to rise it up off the castors. Cut pieces of threaded rod make great leveling legs with a nut welded on top. You could probably jb weld the nut on if you can't weld.
It has held up fine.

I am making a new one that will also hold a router cabinet. I here you can also glue/ screw 3/4 ply strips to the edge to really stiffen it up.

Edward Garrett
02-11-2008, 9:59 PM
WOW! Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Earlier today I did submit an on-line request to HTC to quote a custom base....although my bet is that it will be out of my budget.

Based on the comments so far, I will probably build my own with the help of a buddy with a welder and a case of beer (I recently traded him a custom-made oak rack for the back of his John Deere Gator in exchange for some welding he did on my wife's horse trailer....he does great work!).

Next stop: researching the right wheel set!

Thanks everyone- this is a great forum!!

Dave Novak
02-12-2008, 9:48 AM
WOW! Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Earlier today I did submit an on-line request to HTC to quote a custom base....although my bet is that it will be out of my budget.

Based on the comments so far, I will probably build my own with the help of a buddy with a welder and a case of beer (I recently traded him a custom-made oak rack for the back of his John Deere Gator in exchange for some welding he did on my wife's horse trailer....he does great work!).

Next stop: researching the right wheel set!

Thanks everyone- this is a great forum!!

When I bought my custom HTC base I first went online to build it, but never received a response. Had to call them.

Art Mann
02-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I would like to re-emphasize Randy Klein's idea. The availability of good quality heavy duty double locking casters from places like Woodcraft and Hartville Tool makes designing and building your own base a practical alternative. The biggest challenge I had was designing the base so that it doesn't add too much height to the machine. Notice Randy's solution to that problem, which is similar to what I did.

Wayne Cannon
02-13-2008, 1:41 AM
This Delta mobile base is very strong and stable. I made mine with white oak 2x2s for a large bandsaw, but wouldn't hesitate to use it for a 500 lb tool, such as am 8" jointer or your sander.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-50-345-Universal-Mobile-Included/dp/B0000223CL

Sean Kinn
02-13-2008, 8:30 AM
I'd like to cast my vote for building your own. I'm not trying to knock HTC, but I recently purchased one of their custom welded bases for my Unisaw and I wasn't overly impressed for the premium in price. In my opinion they are nicer than most of the competition, but the materials weren't nearly as heavy-duty as I was expecting. Maybe I'm just expecting too much. I don't think they make them anymore, but I love the Vega mobile base that was on my Jet jointer when I bought it used. That base is rock solid and is the type that has no wheels touching the ground when you are not using the hande to move it.

M Toupin
02-13-2008, 8:27 PM
Look at the Northern Tools 1200lb mobile base for $40.00 as a start. It's only 14" X 21" but you can easily replace the short tubs with steel 1 1/4" tubing which slide right into it. I've got 3 machines sitting on these bases which I've stretched with 1 1/4" tubing and they work great. The heaviest machine is a Walker Turner 16" bandsaw which goes, oh, about 900 lbs! The bases have 3 1/2" steel wheels that roll over small debris and work fine on the concrete driveway were it goes for big jobs. For the price you can't beat it, you'll spend more than $40 for a good set of casters. 1 1/4" steel runs me $40 for a 24' length at my local steel supplier, so for about $80 you'll have a custom, heavy duty base.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...040652_1040652 (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_1040652_1040652)

Mike

Jeff Clow
02-14-2008, 9:21 AM
For home made bases, what are people using to lift off the wheels so it doesn't roll? I like the kick down type wheels on the base from Woodcraft linked in Mike McCann's post above. Is there anywhere to get something like these without buying a whole base?

thanks
Jeff Clow

JayStPeter
02-14-2008, 9:39 AM
For home made bases, what are people using to lift off the wheels so it doesn't roll? I like the kick down type wheels on the base from Woodcraft linked in Mike McCann's post above. Is there anywhere to get something like these without buying a whole base?

thanks
Jeff Clow

Rockler sells the front caster separately with their mobile base. I have a couple of these bases and they work well. The Rockler is so similar to the Delta I consider them to be the same. But, my personal feeling is they are best for lighter weight machines. They are a little wobbly under larger machines. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383&filter=mobile%20base

Randy Klein
02-14-2008, 9:42 AM

thanks
Jeff Clow

My casters lock both in swivel and roll, so there's no need to lift.

Bernhard Lampert
02-14-2008, 10:31 AM
May want to take a look at zambus.com or greatlakescasters.com.

I have all my equipment on these casters using existing mounting holes on the equipment. Even the milling machine (~3000 lbs) is on casters. These casters have a distinct advantage in that you can level the equipment. Also, most mobile bases I have seen/used allow flex and some movement; the zambus casters are rock steady.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Larry Conely
02-14-2008, 12:12 PM
I have had tinker toy versions and not liked them. I either advocate HTC or welding up your own. I am fortunate to live near HTC and go directly to the factory. They have been great to deal with. I have also welded up custom bases to fit machines out of plate steel and angle iron. Actually, I had a welding shop do it.