PDA

View Full Version : The little kids chair....

Bill Huber
02-11-2008, 2:06 PM
I started looking for the plans for a little kids chair but at first could not fine it. I then used a picture of my daughter setting in one and went from there. The prototype turned out ok but it still just did not look right.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72715

Then Rob Wright came up with the real plans that were in a magazine in 1972, again I can't thank him enough. I am not sure where the original plans came form but they were sent to the magazine by Fred Taylor in 1969 and he stated they were not his design.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72433

I got some white oak and scale the plans to full size and built the little chair, it came out much better then then the prototype had and looks more like the original we had in the past.

I followed the plans all the way with just a few changes.

I made the seat slats 1/2 inches and not the 5/16 that was called for, I think maybe 3/8 would have been better but I didn't like the thinness of the 5/16.
I also added an extra support so the back would stay up and could not be moved even when someone was not setting in the chair. (Picture 3)

I added two shims to make the seat part fit a little tighter, just for looks mostly. (Picture 4)

I added an extra piece on the back of the top slat to make the handle feel better.

Now I just have to put some poly on it and its ready for the grand daughter.

81441 81442

81443 81444

Rick Gifford
02-11-2008, 2:44 PM
Looks like it came out well. I saved the zip file from the other thread in case I want to try this one out.

Your granddaughter will think its cool pappa made that for her.

Only thing better is if it was to be painted she could help with that and take part.

Thanks for sharing!

Rob Wright
02-11-2008, 4:30 PM
Bill,

They came out looking great! I will note your improvements on my set of drawings. I hope to make a few this summer for camping. Good idea about the thickness and I will look into the 3/8" for the slats. I should be able to pick up some 4/4+ rough sawn that would be just the ticket to re-saw for them.

Keepup the good work!

- Rob W.

Bill Huber
02-11-2008, 6:48 PM
Looks like it came out well. I saved the zip file from the other thread in case I want to try this one out.

Your granddaughter will think its cool pappa made that for her.

Only thing better is if it was to be painted she could help with that and take part.

Thanks for sharing!

Well I am getting a little ahead of myself, the grand daughter is only 7 weeks old and I don't think she could help paint it yet.... but then I just could wait until she is older to give it to her.

Bill Huber
02-11-2008, 6:55 PM
Bill,

They came out looking great! I will note your improvements on my set of drawings. I hope to make a few this summer for camping. Good idea about the thickness and I will look into the 3/8" for the slats. I should be able to pick up some 4/4+ rough sawn that would be just the ticket to re-saw for them.

Keepup the good work!

- Rob W.

Rob, I can not thank you enough for finding those plans, the chair is a really good looking little chair and looks so much better then the one I made.
I did do a little research on the original chair and a friend of my Dad's had made it from a picture that someone gave him. So I guess its just like a copy machine, you loose a little each time you make a copy without the original.

Thanks again...

Jim Becker
02-11-2008, 7:41 PM
Outstanding! Those are great!

gary Zimmel
02-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Bill

Great looking kids chair.

It may take awhile but I'm sure your grand daughter will use it alot.
(being only 7 weeks)

Got to hand it to you, you sure plan ahead....

Danny Thompson
02-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Great chair. Functional. Attractive.

Bill Huber
02-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Man what a little finish will do.....

I am really happy with the way it came out, the poly just made it really pop.

81521 81522