PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft online

James Carmichael
02-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Ordered the LN 60 1/2R back in January & paid (a little) extra for 2nd day shipping. At the time, was supposed to ship on 2/1. 2/1 came & went, then they said backordered until 2/8. Figuring it should arrive today, WC now says backordered until 2/22.

When I called & asked WTH, they blamed LN. I reminded WC that THEY accepted the order. Since I wasn't entirely sure this was the plane I wanted for shoulder work, anyway, I canceled.

I like my local WC, but that's the last online order they'll get from me.

Peter Quadarella
02-11-2008, 1:03 PM
I try not to order much from Woodcraft online in order to give my local woodcraft more business (wouldn't want them going out of business! ;) ).

Michael Faurot
02-11-2008, 1:19 PM
I ordered the same Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2R when it was on sale for $119, plus free shipping. I also ordered a Lie-Nielsen dowel plate. Both were listed as "back ordered" when I made the order. I've also noticed that the "back ordered until" date has kept changing, when I've checked my order status on their web site. I don't need either of the items I've ordered, so I'm content to just wait.

I don't see any fault here on the part of Woodcraft. They've kept the information for my order updated on their web site and they've not charged my credit card yet.

Rick Gifford
02-11-2008, 2:10 PM
I try not to order much from Woodcraft online in order to give my local woodcraft more business (wouldn't want them going out of business! ;) ).

Guess I'm lucky in this regard. Woodcraft headquarters is here, and all the online orders are downstairs of my local Woodcraft store. The warehouse is just down the road a bit.

The store has a discount room they sell all online returns that have been opened etc. Get some great deals!

But whatever you can order online you can have your store order without the shipping cost. So your always better to go into the sore and buy if possible. I prefer to keep those folks employed. Good people.

Dave Sinkus
02-11-2008, 2:53 PM
Bought the LN 60 1/2 LA block plane on sale for $119 AT the Woddcraft store January 25th.

I was told it was on backorder and have not gotten a phone call to come pick it up yet.

It must have been a popular sale.

Matt Meiser
02-11-2008, 3:05 PM
FWIW, the stores (at least the one in Canton, MI) won't necessarily honor online sale prices. I went in to buy a Fein vac a few years ago with a copy of the printout from the web in my hand and they refused to honor the price.

Andres Cuevas
02-11-2008, 3:25 PM
Ordered the LN 60 1/2R back in January & paid (a little) extra for 2nd day shipping. At the time, was supposed to ship on 2/1. 2/1 came & went, then they said backordered until 2/8. Figuring it should arrive today, WC now says backordered until 2/22.

When I called & asked WTH, they blamed LN. I reminded WC that THEY accepted the order. Since I wasn't entirely sure this was the plane I wanted for shoulder work, anyway, I canceled.

I like my local WC, but that's the last online order they'll get from me.

I think it's in fact related to LN, I bought a LN scrapper set and it's back ordered until 2/22. I don't really need it right now so I can wait.

I always buy online in Woodcraft because I'm too far away of a local WC. I'm in Chile South America :). And usually I don't have problems.

Dave Lehnert
02-11-2008, 3:29 PM
We have a woodcraft here in Cincinnati but I most often order from the web site. If I order before 2pm I get the package the next day with the regular shipping. Woodcraft store is half hour away for me and got sick of driving only to find out they were out of stock . Not very well stocked in my opinion.

FYI- If you like your local store but don’t have the time to visit. You can call the store and they will ship out UPS. Just like if you ordered from the web and you support you local store.

Lee Hingle
02-11-2008, 9:37 PM
The problems you guys are referring to do in fact stem from Lie-Nielsen. They are in the midst of a plant expansion, and have decided to use the employees instead of hiring the work out to outside contractors. This, in turn, has resulted in some delays in production of certain items. I was told this by a LN employee on the phone a few days ago.

Ken Werner
02-12-2008, 7:20 AM
I've had nothing but great service and product from Woodcraft. A long back order sometimes happens, no matter with whom you are dealing.

James Carmichael
02-12-2008, 7:24 AM
Hmm, maybe it wasn't WC's fault, after all.

I still wasn't sure this was the plane I wanted, anyway. Think I'll hold out for a 140.

Marcus Ward
02-12-2008, 8:03 AM
It's not that great for shoulder work, not enough bearing surface. Get a shoulder plane for that and save this one for trimming tenon cheeks.

Harry Hagan
02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanksgiving afternoon (Thursday), I placed an order from Woodcraft online and the package was on my doorstep 9:00 am Saturday morning! Shipping was free.

Michael Gibbons
02-13-2008, 8:43 AM
Woodcraft should then change their website system to include the " in-stock" or "out-of-stock" notification next to the product description or the " only 3 left in stock" type notification. Also, computer systems are out there that delete the purchase from the original number so when Joe Schmoe buys a Widget, the number of avaiable Widgets automatically reduces so you know if you should bother ordering.

Michael Faurot
02-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Woodcraft should then change their website system to include the " in-stock" or "out-of-stock" notification next to the product description . . .

They all ready do this and they seem to be trying to make it easy to see by having this information highlighted in red letters (see attachment).