PDA

View Full Version : Saving favorites from AOL

David Wilhelm
02-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I've been told I should drop AOL to save space on my PC. In doing so I'll also need a new virus portection which I get included with my AOL service that I'm also told takes up space. I pretty much pay the 9.95 because i'm familiar with AOL and i have my favorite places stored. (book marked) pluss i have all my contacts in my address book. After 10 years of AOL i have several i'm sure that i do not need. But for the most part I'd like to keep my favorites and my address book. Is there a way I can transfer these to another service such as windows explorer without needed a degree in PC works? I argured that the amount I paid wasnt' that bad because I got free virus protection And my PC tech told me that there was Virus protection free for the asking. I just can't run it until I remove what i have now. Help if you can. Thanks, Will.

Gary Keedwell
02-11-2008, 4:51 PM
Hope you get some replies David....I'm in the same boat.:(

Gary

Joe Pelonio
02-11-2008, 5:30 PM
AOL is not fond of people switching to another ISP and therefore have not made the favorites compatible with them. AOL does allow you to import IE favorites.

There are 3rd party software packages that might help, I have no experience with them. Like this:

http://www.connectedsw.com/Overview/57266

This is supposed to work for ie and firefox:

http://www.linkagogo.com/go/Convert?informat=aol&outformat=netscape

Jim Becker
02-11-2008, 7:28 PM
Do the manual method...bring up a second browser window in IE or Firefox, separate from your AOL browser. Access a site via your AOL favorites. Copy/paste the URL to the second browser and then save it as a favorite/bookmark on that browser. Of course, things you access with AOL Keywords are toast...you need a URL for a normal browser.

David Wilhelm
02-11-2008, 8:06 PM
For some reason that i don't realy understand I can't get into IE, something to do with her deleting AOL tool bar??? She says that once i delete AOL I can or she will set it up somehow. She has also said to use firefox. Will I not be able to dreate an email address with firefox? If so could I not go ahead and set one up, open an AOL email and fill it up with my favorite links and email it to my new address, then open them up one at a time and book mark them? I know i can still keep my AOL email. I tried to do without AOL when i first switched to DSL but gave up on trying to figure out how to move around on the server page. thanks for the help

Russ Filtz
02-15-2008, 7:33 AM
Firefox is just a browser, not an email service/ISP. Is AOL also your ISP? Sorry, don't know much about AOL, except to stay away from it! If it's your ISP, then you will need another internet service provider before you do anything. Think of Firefox as just another type of Internet Explorer. You don't have an IE email account do you? No, I think not. It's just "dumb" software, not a service provider. You could try to set up a free email account online, like hotmail or netzero (not sure if they still have free accounts though).

If I remember right, my Mom had similar problems after deleting AOL, but that was years ago. Something about the uninstall wipes out a portion of Windows or IE that is still required after. You probably need to reinstall IE or even some networking portions of Windows!