PDA

View Full Version : Need Dust Collection Cyclone to much.

jason lambert
02-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I need a centerlised dust collection system with some decent cfm's. I know wveryone like the cyclones but it doesn't look like a good solution for me, the things I don't like about a cyclone are it is just to big for my gurage and I don't want to leave it running I like the collector to run when I am using the tool then shut down. I am a one man shop I may cut something on the table saw and not use another tool for 1/2 hour later or longer. I don't want to listen to the noise and use the power. Just not good for me or the envirnment.

Anyhow a vaccuum is just not cutting it not enought CFM I have to hook up 2 to my router table to get results. What about something like the JET DC-1100CK 1100CFM Dust Collector with Canister. What are the drawbacks to this? Any other sugestions.

Lance Norris
02-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Jason... for a one man shop, I dont see any disadvantage to a cannister dust collector. Just make sure you buy one that is large enough to do the job and maybe have extra for when and if you get more machines. Something to consider, when they start getting this large, they require 220v. I have the Grizzly G0548 and am very happy with it. I was looking at the Jet 1200w/cannister, but the Grizzly had better cfm numbers at about the same price. A chip seperator inline between your machines and the DC will keep you from emptying the bag as much. Its easier to empty a can, than the bag on the DC.

glenn bradley
02-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a bag unit with a seperator like Lance. This arrangement takes up more room than a cyclone and going ahead with what I should have done (and everyone told me I would eventually do) is on my short list. On the other hand, emptying the bag once a week and thoroughly cleaning the bags every month or so isn't bad, it just gets old.

The seperator will minimize your bag efforts if you can spare the space. I've got the space, I just wish I wouldn't have wasted the time and money on something that was "almost" right and will never be "really" right no matter what I add on to it. The setup I have does a nice job for what it is. It just takes up more room than I think I should have to sacrifice for that level of operation.

Joe Chritz
02-11-2008, 11:51 AM
A cyclone isn't required to run constantly. In fact if you only start and stop it a few times an hour that is perfect. I read once that 6 cycles per hour is max but that seems like it would be motor dependent.

You can go as fancy or as plain as you want. Soon I plan on changing to micro switches at the blast gates and a 1 or 2 minute shut off delay. I love my x-10 remote but I have a horrible time remembering to shut the gates when done. Maybe I should get extra remotes and hang them on the gates, at least that way I would remember to close them. :D

Joe

Kyle Kraft
02-11-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm with Joe....I turn on my cyclone when I need vacuum and off when I don't. I try to plan the work in progress so I can do several dusty jobs while the cyclone is on to minimize starting and stopping.

Joe, I like the idea of a time delay after closing the gate. Would be an easy project. Hey, you can get some small PLC's with say 5 inputs and 3 outputs or whatever and have a really cool programmable dust collection system!!!

Mike Goetzke
02-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Jason - I have the Jet DC-1100C in my garage shop in a stationary position with rigid duct work running to my tools. A cyclone would probably work better but I'm space constrained. My TS used to be 40'+ from the collector and it still worked well. Last weekend I moved the DC to cut the run down by 2/3's but haven't had a chance to test it yet. I added a Phil Thien baffle (you can search for it here) to the DC and from my tests it seems to reduce the dust entering the filter but again I haven't given it a real world test yet. I have also found that the canister needs to be cleaned out well at every bag changing to maintain peak performance.

Look at your local ads, CL, and woodworking classifieds. Many times you can find a great price on a slightly used DC.

Mike

Craig McDaniel
02-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Jason,

You might want to take a look at the portable cyclone from Oneida if space/portability is what's driving your decision.

My first DC was a JDS dust force with a cannister. It was great at the beginning, but over time, it seemed like the really, really fine dust started getting out of it.

From what I was able to gather, the contact with the woodchips from tools like the planer and jointer (as opposed to dust like you get from the table saw) will, over time cause damage to the filter material. Then the fine dust starts getting out.

This seems to be inherent in the design of a single stage collector as more and larger debris is able to get into contact with the filter. Especially as the bag fills.

I switched to a cyclone because I was getting some sinus irritation from the dust my JDS was letting out. I've been using the cyclone for a couple of months and have none of the fine dust in my shop that had been coating everything in there after a weekend of work.

There are several models of cyclone that get great reviews, but none are portable. I haven't seen any reviews of the Oneida portable unit, but would definitely give it a look if the mobility was a factor.

Craig

Eric Haycraft
02-11-2008, 1:04 PM
Where are you at? There is an Oneida in the minneapolis CL for cheap.

jason lambert
02-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the replys I am still confused. I don't need portable, 220v is not a issue the only thing that is a issue is floor space unless I decide to build a small shed out side and punch a hole or two through the concreat. Just seems like fot the price difference $300 to 1K is alot and has no advantage for me. I don't care about emptying a bag I empty my ct22 vac now and that lasts me about a week so anything bigger is fine. It is more about quality of air and cfm's.

Alan Schaffter
02-12-2008, 1:18 PM
Jason- please reread Glenn Bradley's post, and read it again. All I can say is Amen, and go with a cyclone!!!! No, matter what you get, put it outside for the dust and noise.

David Parker
02-12-2008, 1:56 PM
I'm with you Jason. I still have not read anywhere that a cyclone can do a better job at removing dust than a good two-stage cart collector for a small one-man shop. I'm looking at the top rated Delta 50-760 for $325 at my local hardware store. With a 1 micron bag, it should do a decent job at getting out the fine particles. I was also planning on building a cyclone lid can similar to Phil Thien's design and placing it just before the cart collector.

Although they are cool looking, I just can't justify spending the extra $700+ dollars for a commercial cyclone. Space is a big concern for me in my small shop, but I realize a cart collector with adjacent cyclone-lidded can will have a footprint similar to a stand-up cyclone. A cart collector will allow me to easily change my shop layout as my needs or equipment change - something not possible with a heavy stationary cyclone.

Peter Quinn
02-12-2008, 2:00 PM
I am using the JDS dust force with a trash can seperator, It will not pull my 15' run of spiral pipe so I'm back to single machine hose swap dance. It works, keeps planer/jointer/shaper free of chips, more than enough for drum sander/table saw. Keeps me orginized and limber from bending over to swap hoses all day.

Some days when milling stock I can change that trash can 3X/hour! I have several cans for quick swap on the fly, minimal down time. It takes a long time to add any significant dust to the bag on the collector. When planning "fluffy" wood like maple I sometimes call out to my collector "Scotty, I need warp speed in 6 seconds or we're all dead" and I swear it calls back in a scottish accent "I'm givin it all she's got captain!" It gets the job done with little room to spare and at no great convience.

The very moment that finance's allow I will pitch this hackneyed ametuer setup off my ship and add a cyclone.

jason lambert
02-12-2008, 2:26 PM
I hate you people!

You are going to make me get a cyclone aren't you.

Just kiddn.... I probably thank you when I am done. If I go with the cyclone it is a summer thing any how to cold out now. it was 14deg here in NJ yesterday.

Ok given I may go with a oneida they make a 1.5 hp 950cfm unit for $775 and a 2hp 1349 cfm unit for about $960.

This dust collector will have to go through a couple of bends and be about 20' away from my work area, accross another gurage to go outside, should I go with the bigger one. When I called Onieda they where pushing me towards the smaller one not sure why.