PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
02-11-2008, 8:54 AM
22 Feb 2008
Good Morning Everyone

The weather has been pretty tricky here this winter. Warm one day and then 40º F colder the very next day. With the most recent storm system that went through here (and many other places as well) brought tornadic weather and some friends of ours lost their home and all they had. We spent part of this past week / weekend helping them find any personal belongings across a 1/2 mile stretch and were able to find a lot of their clothing and some small items that belonged to them. Furniture, appliances and other larger items are all gone or turned into total ribbish. We've been washing their cloths and helping them get back on their feet as best we can. I have attached a pic of the LOML searching through part of the debris for any salvagable personal items of theirs.

My youngest son did help me some last week as well as the LOML, in getting my shop a little more organized so I can get back to working on the walnut kitchen table. But due to the day job, my time lately has been extremely limited and I've been spending any real spare time with the family. Priorities as I always say. :)

So what did YOU do this weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.

David Duke
02-11-2008, 9:41 AM
Dennis and all others affected by the storms our heart goes out to you, best of luck in your recovery.

My weekend actually went the way I had planned, I finished up and fitted all the doors/drawers in the pantry unit, got everything sanded and stained. Hopefully if the weather will cooperate this week I will begin the top-coat.

JayStPeter
02-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Wow, a real mess there Dennis. They are lucky to have friends like you to help them out.

I built a new outfeed table (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76108) for my tablesaw this weekend. Lots more time spent than I anticipated. But, it was a good weekend with lots of shop time. According to the calendar it'll be a while until I get another of those.

Lee Koepke
02-11-2008, 10:04 AM
In addition to my Creeker visit, I finished installing the stair treads down to the basement. I am glad THAT is over....

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Saturday I designed, cut and manufactured the supports for my DC pipe.

Sunday the SIL came over to spend part of the day with us. I suckered him out to the shop and we got another circuit mounted for the DC.

Jim Becker
02-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I finished up (literally) the uppers for the wet bar and got them installed in the addition on Saturday. No shop time on Sunday due to business things.

I do have to say that my shop feels really different now...almost "empty"...with all that cabinetry that I finally got moved into the addition. I may even sweep the floor a little before getting on with the next cabinets... :)

Matt Meiser
02-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Spent pretty much the whole weekend working on my parents bathroom. Saturday morning the faux painter finished up the painting and Saturday afternoon my brother came up from Columbus and we put down the underlayment and hung the cabinets. Sunday we laid the linoleum flooring and put up prefinished wainscoating panels. I finished up the afternoon hanging the cabinet doors, cleaning up, taking back the rented roller and running to Lowes/Menards/Home Depot to take back some extra supplies and pick up what will hopefully be the rest. Then I came home and spent about 3 hours getting a head start on the work-week. :(

John Thompson
02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Had two Creeker visitors last week.. Stacey on Wednesday and Leo K. on Saturday after accountants and taxes.. Took the day off and read after that.

Sunday... I got tired of attempting to co-ordinate busy friends to drop by and help get a 450 lb. BS on a mobile base so.. I used some field expediency and improvision and did it alone on Sunday. The afternoon and evening was spent detailing components for a chest of drawers I am running 3 weeks behind on with another waiting in the wings.

Back to the shop this morning.. tomorrow.. etc... cause "she said so"! :)

Sarge..

Brent Ring
02-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I caught up on my sleep to accelerate getting rid of an obnoxious cold I have. But the projects keep piling on. I did attend a bandsaw tuning class at the local woodcraft on Sat. Very interesting, and I cut 4 dovetails by hand, the very first ones. Lots of fun....

Thomas Knighton
02-11-2008, 1:13 PM
I built my first woodworking project, a saw vise to sharpen my hand saws. It was less than what I wanted, but I learned a lot and had a great time building it.

Details are here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76280).

Tom

Jim Canniff
02-11-2008, 1:41 PM
Definitely feel bad for those of you in areas hard hit by Mother Nature. Sure has been interesting weather here as well...yesterday went from sunny and warm to raining while sunny, to snowing heavily with full sun, to freezing. Crazy!

Well, I finished 3 drawers that I constructed to go just below the garage workbench. All went well, until I tried to slide the cabinets I have that I measured to fit under the drawers. Apparently the garage floor undulates over a short span quite a bit. So, had to move the drawers up a 1/2". No troubles, cept they look a lil uneven right now. Will need to put some drawer faces on to hide the imperfections.

Also shoveled 5 trailer fulls of compost at the town dump. They put it out early this year, luckily my once a month dump run coincided with the annual compost heap. Only unfortunate part is the necessity of shoveling it into the trailer, then back out at the house. Good stuff though, will be nice to grow a small lawn on. Have a sand pit for a backyard right now. :D

Bought more tools as well...first air tool and a used set of sockets, etc (Craigslist)....more tools is always good!

Justin McCurdy
02-11-2008, 2:04 PM
Reformatted my FIL's computer on Saturday and then enjoyed a night out with my wife and about 12 friends. We were supposed to go to a comedy club Saturday night but the fact that it was sold out cancelled Christmas.

Sunday was spent with fellow Creeker Rick Harding installing a hardwood floor in his basement.

Today will be spent recovering.

Louis Rucci
02-11-2008, 2:29 PM
Installed the hurricane clips under the facia of my garden shed and then wrapped the whole thing in 15# and leftover 30# roof paper.
Next day went to my oldest son's home for my granddaughter's 2nd birthday party.

If interested, some pics of my shed project:
http://picasaweb.google.com/AspiringWoodworker/WorkShop

Steve Rozmiarek
02-11-2008, 3:31 PM
Those are some spooky storms. Hope no one got hurt.

I spent a day and a half working on two cabinet for some of the Neander-tools. Couple more weekends at least for these beasts to get done.

Geoff Potter
02-11-2008, 3:55 PM
Satruday went to Klingspors to pick up a Shop Fox bench top drill press. Took it home and set it up. Slick!

Sunday I made a mobile base for my planer, rearranged the shop, looked at the DC.... said later and started the framework for my work bench.

After a 7 year layoff it is amazing how much I have forgotten about how to use tools. I feel like I am learning all over again!

Tyler Howell
02-11-2008, 4:01 PM
Punch list!!!
I'm getting punch happy around here.
20 more days to go!!

Russ Sears
02-11-2008, 4:02 PM
In light of the recent thefts reported on here, mine included, I spent time this weekend photographing, marking and recording serial numbers of my tools.
I also bought a motion-sensing light for outside the garage.

As far as woodworking: I spent more time on a tea tray for LOML. I just need to figure out how to finish it.

Earl Reid
02-11-2008, 9:20 PM
I have been making 2 flag boxes and will be starting on 2 shadow boxes for our daughter and her X , who will be retiring from the USN after 20 yrs:)
Earl

Jim Mattheiss
02-11-2008, 9:48 PM
I worked on a trash can separator for my dust collector. I worked with sheet metal for several hours over the weekend and managed to cut my hand on the cut edge of a sheet of plywood. Go figure . . .

I made a "really rough" circle guide for my router, and used it to cut the top for the separator. I don't have the patience to build furniture quality jigs. I did manage to finally use hardware I bought 10+ years ago when I bought the router and a router plate. Still haven't made the router table to mount the plate to.

Cheers

Jim.

Frank McKinney
02-11-2008, 10:11 PM
I worked all day Saturday, but took Sunday off. After church, I spent time finally tuning up the used unisaw that I bought several months ago and made some sawdust. Didn't make anything except sawdust, but that felt good in itself. Just learning to use a TS and am slightly intimidated by it still. With all of that table area to the right of the blade, not sure why it seems so many pictures show folks using the left miter slot and the waste end of the board to the right of the blade.

Also, extended the opening for the router table insert in the extension table to accommodate the Rockler aluminum insert I got for Christmas. Drilled the insert for the router I bought from someone I met in one of these forums. Used the recently purchased Toolkraft DP to make the holes, to try it out. Need to countersink the holes to accept the screw heads.

Frank