PDA

View Full Version : position for planing a bevel

Mike Steinhilper
02-11-2008, 7:08 AM
How would you orient your board on your bench to plane a bevel? It's about 4 ft long and I'm having a hard time securing it.

harry strasil
02-11-2008, 8:00 AM
picture or description of you bench would help greatly.

Mike K Wenzloff
02-11-2008, 8:33 AM
Yeah, depends on the bench.

The bench I built rather hastily when we moved into the present home has an overhanging top and a face vise on the left. For long boards I secure one end in the face vise and then use a pair of wood screw clamps on the loose end.

One pair is tightened on the loose end of the board and it is clamped down to the top with another pair.

On wide boards which would stick up above the bench top too much if one end is sitting in the face vise, I simply remove the vise and use two pairs of clamps at each end of the board so the board's edge is a bit above the top.

As for the actual work of planning a bevel on the edge, once securing the work is figured out, I just gauge the bevel's extents, clamp the work piece and plane away until I reach the gauge lines.

Take care, Mike

Mike Steinhilper
02-11-2008, 9:25 AM
I will try to post some pix later, but here is a description: i have a bench with a small face vise on the left side, and a small end vise on the right. I've been trying to lay my panel flat on the bench using the end vise and a dog, with it overhanging. I then plane with the board lying flat on my right. But my small vise/dog combination is not holding my board securely. Mike, what kind of clamps are you using? That is probably going to be my solution since I don't have the money right now to invest in a decent vise.

Randy Klein
02-11-2008, 10:06 AM
But my small vise/dog combination is not holding my board securely.

Try a hold down (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31149&cat=1,41637) to secure the work.

David Tiell
02-11-2008, 10:10 AM
I use the same technique as Mike, if I understand him correctly. Use handscrew clamps. Fasten one on the board, then clamp that one down to the bench to hold the board vertically.

Mike Steinhilper
02-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Obviously this works for you guys or you wouldn't do it, I'm just a little surprised the hold is that tight. I could use a C clamp from the handscrew to the bench correct? That seems like it might hold better.

Pedro Reyes
02-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Mike,

I use a method very similar to Mike W. I have a face vise on the left and on the front right leg (other end from vise) I clamp a piece of scrap on which the board sits on (so that it is not being held in cantilever by the face vise only). This way I only hold it with my face vise and I don't have to worry about marring the surface with c-clamps or screws.

That short piece of scrap actually pretty much stays clamped all the time. It is at the same level as my face vise's bottom. I prefer it to the pegs because it does not stick out as much and I don't bump into it with my legs.

You need not much but keep it form wiggling.

/p

Sam Yerardi
02-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Mike,
If I understand what you are describing it sounds a bit like what I did in the attached picture. If you don't have the type of clamp as shown I would try to secure it in the fashion you have been doing but lay a board across the right side of the board and clamp it at both ends of the bench to use it as a long hold-down.

Jim Becker
02-11-2008, 12:21 PM
I would also use hold-fasts for this kind of need. Frankly, I use them for both Neander and, um...tailed...work when I need to keep something down and on the bench. Mine happen to be Gramercy from http://Toolsforworkingwood.com

Mike Steinhilper
02-11-2008, 1:56 PM
Sam, yes that's the orientation. What kind of clamp are you using in the pic?

Sam Yerardi
02-11-2008, 2:41 PM
Mike,

It came with the workbench. I'm not sure of the vendor. I've been trying to find a similar one on the net and I've found some in the UK but none in the US yet.

Someone has to make it. Here are links that might be helpful:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?sku=11199&cs=1

http://www.mtmc.co.uk/prodtype.asp?cookiecheck=yes&PT_ID=12710167

I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll post it or PM you.

Sam Yerardi
02-11-2008, 2:51 PM
Mike,

I'll keep looking but in thinking about it it would be very easy to make one. All you need is a piece of 1"x1" steel (or as a last resort - hardwood such as beech or oak), say 4" long. Secure at a 90 deg angle on one end a 6-8" dowel (steel or wood) just small enough to fit into a dog hole. At the opposite end of the 4" piece of stock, drill and tap a 1/4-20 hole and use a threaded rod. Epoxy a handle on one end and drive the other end against a plate that rests on top of your work. It wouldn't cost much but I would opt for the steel. It could be as functional as you want to make it.