PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for moving a big bandsaw?

Mike Heidrick
02-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Going to move Mini Max 20 about 100 miles.

What is the best way to do this?
Upright?
On its "spine" (don't know how to explain that position for a bandsaw)?
Any experience doing this with a big bandsaw?
Any advise as far as straping it down or crating?
Should I use a Trailer or truck bed?

Any advise would be helpful. Please and Thankyou.

Rob Will
02-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Mike,
I hauled a 2500 lb. Moak 36 from Michigan to Kentucky - standing up on a tandem axle utility trailer. We reinforced the floor with a sheet of 3/4 plywood and bolted the saw down with bolts all the way through the trailer floor. The saw was placed slightly forward of the axle center. I would recommend a fairly long trailer such as a 16' tandem axle. The extra length will give the tall saw a better ride.

We used a bunch of ratchet straps wrapped around the saw's spine and fanning out in all directions.
It was rock solid.

Before you do anything: REMOVE THE TABLE !!! ;):eek:;)

Good luck,
Rob

Steven Wilson
02-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Mike, the MM20 although somewhat large is fairly easy to move. I would remove the table and use a utility trailer. Mine has a large ramp (8') that easily supports the weight of an MM20 (I have an MM20). You will need to use a fair number of straps to hold it down. It's also a good idea to lag screw the saw to the trailer decking (in the holes where the leveling screws are) and add some 2x4 cleats around the base of the saw.

Rob Will
02-11-2008, 12:49 AM
and add some 2x4 cleats around the base of the saw.

YES! I forgot that part. We did that as well.
Thanks Steven
Rob

Steve Rozmiarek
02-11-2008, 1:24 AM
Mike, I have Robs saws cousin, a 2500 pound 36" Oliver, which I have moved three times now. Good advice from these guys, but I'll add, watch what you strap to. Even as massive as my Oliver is, it is easy to find "soft" places that you don't want supporting a load. The only option on mine is standing, and I don't see why it would be beneficial to do anything else.

Oh, and when you unload your saw, remember that the forklift will not clear the eaves on the house...:o

Adam Grills
02-11-2008, 6:59 AM
When I brought mine home we layed it down on the spine in a small 5x9' utility trailer. It was new and the table was off and everything was packed on the sides weight approx 600lbs. There were no worries about it tipping over on large bumps in the road. I called manuafure before doing so and they said it was okay to do.

Adam

Stan Welborn
02-11-2008, 7:18 AM
I moved my MM20 complete on it's back, spine, or whatever you wish to call it. Built sort of a platform around it so it wouldn't tip, tied it down good and moved it on a 6X10 trailer about 300 miles. Picked it up off the trailer with a chain hoist.