PDA

View Full Version : Band saw book recommendation

David Gunn
02-10-2008, 11:57 PM
This weekend, I bought the Craftsman 14" bandsaw on sale for $375. They had it marked down $30 and were also have a 20% off sale. I have been in the market for a bandsaw for a while, and I knew some people on here were happy with their 22401.
My question is, what is a good book to get me started on the basics of a bandsaw? I have been doing woodworking for a while, but have only made casework stuff. I have never cut curves or resawn anything. So I would like to know a good source to teach me some basics.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-11-2008, 12:52 AM
David,

I've worked on oil rigs, in a steel factory operating a roll form mill. I worked on radar, communciation equipment, x-ray equipment, mr scanners and ct scanners. I have primarily an electro-mechanical and electronics background. Mark Duginske's new book on bandsaws is extremely well written, illustrated and covers everything one would want to know about bandsaws.

It can be bought at Amazon or Chapel Hill Publishing IIRC.

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Guide-Band-Saw/dp/1565233182/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202708867&sr=8-1

Not related to Mark Duginske other than a happy book owner.....

Tom Henderson2
02-11-2008, 1:24 AM
Ditto the Duginske recommendation.

Make sure you get the latest version -- it was updated a year or two ago, but some of the older versions are still on the shelves in some bookstores (don't ask me how I know.....)

-Tom H.

Tim Malyszko
02-11-2008, 9:06 AM
I was given a free copy of Duginske's book with my Kreg Fence purchase this past weekend at the woodworking show and I must agree, its a great book. I've paged through it a few times since Saturday and used its suggestions to "tune-up" my Craftsman Bansaw (the 12" version of the one you just purchased).

I wish I had the book when I first bought the bansaw because it would have saved me a lot of frustation.

Peter Quadarella
02-11-2008, 10:26 AM
I bought this one yesterday based on the reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Bandsaw-Book-Lonnie-Bird/dp/1561582891/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202743572&sr=8-1