PDA

View Full Version : alright tool fiends- how to clean/sand corners??

andy Needles
02-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Hello all,

I'm always looking for new "need" for a tool.

I have been building small entry tables, with skirts and long skinny legs. My question is this-

How do you best, and most efficiently sand, scrape, or otherwise clean up these (and other) corners??

After initially cleaning things up, w/ ultra sharp chisels do I then>>>

-use a detail sander- I stupidly bought a Ryobi. It was a POS, that gave my hand a deep vibrating massage, while firmly holding itself to the wood I was attempting to sand:D!!!!!

-use a mini drum sander on the end of a drill

-maybe a trimmed down cabinet scraper??

What tool type ,brand, and model do people use for this sort of application? I want fast- and care little about low or high tech!

Thank you all for your thoughts and answers!!

Charlie Plesums
02-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I thought I was the only one to sell my Ryobi massage unit on Craigs List.

So far, I hand sand the corners, and am reluctant to try alternatives after the Ryobi fiasco.

Jamie Buxton
02-10-2008, 11:50 PM
That's a good question. I hope you get a good answer. My technique is to never sand in corners, because I've never found a satifactory answer to your question. Before I glue up the piece, I do all my sanding. And when I'm going to use a finish which might want sanding between coats, I finish the parts before I glue them up.

Mike Cutler
02-11-2008, 5:18 AM
Chisel plane.

Stanley model 97 or the equivalent. It's what it was designed for.

Here are the Lie-Nielsen models for a visual. I have the 97 1/2.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=975

Jeffrey Makiel
02-11-2008, 6:53 AM
For corners, I use sharp chisels as scrapers, and sandpaper glued to wood sticks. I use spray adhesive to adhere the paper to the stick.

I also have a Ryobi sander. It does vibrate like the dickens, but it does work. I also have the Fein Multi-master tool, but neither the Ryobi or Fein sanders get into the corners like chisels and sandpaper sticks.

Sorry...no magic bullet here. Maybe somebody else can offer a better suggestion.

-Jeff :)

Doug Shepard
02-11-2008, 7:05 AM
For corners, I use sharp chisels as scrapers, and sandpaper glued to wood sticks. I use spray adhesive to adhere the paper to the stick.

Same here. Sometimes I grab a plane iron for scraper use too.

Russ Filtz
02-11-2008, 7:54 AM
Do not use the drum sander chucked in a drill, you'll end up with divots/scallops everywhere. Even if you try really hard not too!

Mitchell Andrus
02-11-2008, 8:00 AM
I sand before assembling. Depending on the piece, I stain before assembly. Very often, I sand, stain and finish parts before assembly. Makes it a snap to avoid lap marks/dry spots in the stain, runs, and dry finish in the corners.

Jason Roehl
02-11-2008, 8:35 AM
I've used the B&D Mouse sander, and it doesn't even massage my hand, just makes a buzzing noise. Then, when my partner and I started refinishing wood floors, we took the plunge and bought a Festool Deltex sander. A little pricey, yes, but it does what we need it to, so it has earned its ~$230 price tag (more now, I'm sure).

Quinn McCarthy
02-11-2008, 8:41 AM
I use a Dynabrade Dynaline r sander. 2 3/4" x 8 1/2" or a good sharp scraper.

Quinn

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-11-2008, 8:54 AM
Chisel plane.

What he says.
And I will use a regular chisel like a scraper. Takes a light touch.

andy Needles
02-11-2008, 9:56 AM
Thank you for everyone's responses!

Jim Becker
02-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Sorry for the late response. I pre-sand everything prior to assembly so I only have minor touch-ups in that respect, especially for "inside" areas that are hard to sand. Careful assembly and glue control will keep any post-assembly sanding to a minimuim.