PDA

View Full Version : electrolosis for rust removal

Matt Ranum
02-10-2008, 10:42 PM
I have a question for those of you that have used electrolosis for rust removal on old planes. I have a couple 1900 era planes that have a nice patina fish on the sides but where the japanning is coming off there is a fair amount of rust.

Now, if I were to use an electrolosis treatment, would that remove the current japanning and patina too or does it work just on the iron deposit in rust?

Matt

Mark Vayman
02-10-2008, 11:07 PM
From my short experience with electrolysis (restored 3 planes), I can say that it removed most of the Japanning as well as the patina. I think that the sometimes there is rust under the Japanning which gets it loose.
Hope this helps,
Mark

Justin Grow
02-11-2008, 2:20 AM
I think it depends on the details. The condition under the japaning, and how long you leave it in. I did a few planes and it didnt touch the japaning. I do think it will damage the patina on the non rusted areas though.

Matt Ranum
02-11-2008, 1:26 PM
Thanks for the input. I was thinking depending on the variables it would remove them but I'm glad I got some other input. I'm not after making it look new, more cleaning it up and making it look like a nicely used piece that reflects its age.

The plane in question is a Stanley/Bailey No.8C type 9.

I can post a couple pics if anyone would like to offer some suggestions for refurbishing after looking at it.

Matt

Zahid Naqvi
02-11-2008, 4:47 PM
I have used electrolysis some. The only time it will impact japanning is when there is runt underneath it. If you are only after cleaning things up it should work fine, you definately want to find out all hidden rust now so that so can clean and seal the surface with some protection.

Matt Ranum
02-11-2008, 5:51 PM
I have used electrolysis some. The only time it will impact japanning is when there is runt underneath it. If you are only after cleaning things up it should work fine, you definately want to find out all hidden rust now so that so can clean and seal the surface with some protection.

Are you talking about protecting the surfaces before electrolosis or after? And with what if I may ask?

Sorry but I'm sorta slow today:p just to dang cold up here.

Matt.

Zahid Naqvi
02-12-2008, 4:49 PM
I meant after, you can probably just wash the plane with warm water before electrolysis to get rid of dirt and grime. The electrolysis process will clean it the metal parts really well, and after you scrub them with steel wool or a wire brush the surface will be very vulnerable to rust(cast iron is a rust magnet). Hence the immediate oiling needed after the post electrolysis cleanup.